Creating 5.1 system with ProMedias and SC-1 Center Channel...

WhackJob

Ok, so maybe this was a good idea in theory, but now I'm confused. I have been using the Pros with a MidiLand ADS 2000 DD Decoder, and it works great for DVD movies. Except for the phantom channel is not loud enough to hear the soft dialogues in movies (an example is X-Men, when Patrick Stewart is looking at an x-ray of Wolverine, I cant hear him talk). This isn't really the fault of the Pros, because due to my room parameters, I had to mount the front speakers about 10 feet away from each other.

So, I decided to get a "real center channel" and thats where the problem now lies. The Klipsch SC-1 is just looking for a powered signal from the decoder. Bad news, the decoder has only a mini-jack center output, with just the signal, no juice. I have a subwoofer amplifier from partsexpress....

300-792m.jpg

How do i connect this to make it work, or am I screwed? I kinda tried to make it work last night, by connecting the sc-1 directly into the front-left channel output of the Pro subwoofer, but the sound was weak, was only the left channel being heard, and obviously because of the way I hooked it up. I'm not against having to buy a receiver and ditching the Midiland decoder, if I have to that. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Whackjob: You can't use a subwoofer amp for your center channel because it filters out all but the lowest frequencies (<120 hz). I suggest getting an old stereo amp or receiver at a flea market or garage sale (for $10 or $15, maybe). It can even be defective, as long as the amp portion works good. Hook up your SC-1 to 1 channel of your amp, and the amp to your center channel out on the decoder. Don't forget to remove the "phantom" setting for the center channel on the decoder! The only drawback: you will have to set the volume of the Promedias and the center channel amp to match each other, and then use only the software volume control on the computer to adjust your volume, or the balance between the two will always be changing. Good luck!

I thought ADS2000 had level control over each channel, separate. No?

When you have the ADS2000 set for 4ch w/sub mixed down, does it shut-off the sub woofer jack? Info useful to people wanting to add an extra sub.

You can set the volume off the center channel amp, then use the master volume of the ADS, or remote(can't give up the remote)

For games you have to use the front & rear miniplugs from your sound card to the analog input of the ADS. S/Pdif does not do 4 point surround.