KG1 speaker not working

I recently was cleaning up a relatives attic. found an old pair of kg1. one speaker works fine, other the horn works fine but woofer only works when i apply slight pressure to the cone with my finger. any suggestions on how to fix since they sound great. i m a novice whn it comes to repairs thanks

It is a bit difficult to tell what you're describing.

It seems to me that the voice coil is jammed because of foreign material or a wrecked voice coil; and by pushing on it slightly, you alter the situation.

If so, the only solution is a replacement driver.

If you can adopt the speakers at no cost, it might be worth your while to order a new driver from 1-800-KLIPSCH, and replace it yourself.

It would be a worthwhile learning experience.

Gil

thanks for the concern. just curious that it would work fine when i apply slight pressure. will try to clean them off and and see about foreign material. will inquire about new driver.thanks and always welcome any other advice

Guest BobG

There is a lack of continuity in the woofer circuit. Likely a bad tinsel lead or a break in the very fine wire that makes up the voice coil and connects to the flexible tinsel. Pull the woofer out and examine the leads very carefully. You can connect your speaker wire directly to the woofer and play at low to moderate volume while you wiggle and press and otherwise search for the break in the connection. Depending on where you find it, you might find it simple to repair.

Thanks for the new info, gave me an hour of curiousity. I took apart the speaker and checked the tinsels both visually and by hooking up wire directly on and sliding across. never got the woofer to work but horn kept working so i assume its not an easy tinsel problem. Assume from my limted knowledge and your help it is the internal tinsel. Is this possible to fix either by myself or a pro or can i get a replacment woofer or piece, anyone know approx costs. always enjoy fixing things myself even if it costs abit more in time and money. Thanks in advace to all

Bob G is probably correct. I dunno, sometimes I think Bob G is in the business of making me look stupid. But he is not alone. Smile.

His description is something I didn't think of. I'm a bit prejudiced because once upon a time I had a problem with jammed voice coil.

With my jammed voice coil, the driver made only high frequency noise at low levels. If you push, gently on the diaphragm, you feel the binding.

So it seems you're getting nothing, and then some pushing re-establishes a connection.

If you take the driver out, you'll see the thin wires from the connection terminal to the structure of the diaphragm, just in back of the dome of the dust cover in front. Someplace in there there is a solder connection to the windings of the voice coil. But it is mostly not accessable.

Still, I think this is something which is difficult to fix and that a new driver is the best answer.

Regards,

Gil.