Can you buy woofers from Klipsch

m00n

I have not called to find out, but I was curious if you could buy just a Klipsch woofer. Say a 15"

------------------

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

shoulda jumped on that jbl tent sale & they woulda even threw in a cabinet w/ the 2 15" for $200. don't think they sell discontinued anymore but maybe they sell the bigger heritage woofs seperate.

try 1-800-klipsch, parts.

of course to go to the next ? it'd be better to try something like www.partsexpress.com as klipsch marks up according to replacements for their own speakers. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-14-2002 at 12:57 AM

Ya I have been to parts express. So let me ask this, if I am not able to get my hands on some Klipsch speakers, what would be next best thing? If YOU were going to build a Sonotube, what brand of speaker would you go with? There seem to be so many.

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

By any chance, do you know why Klipsch does not make tube subwoofers?

------------------

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Guest BobG

We do not believe there is anything particularly magical in the tube design. A big box is a big box. A sphere contains more volume than any other shape of the same major dimension. Spheres are hard to build. A box comes quite close.

The advantage with tube subs, is that the tube portion of the enclosure (not the endcaps) will not resonate like a flat surface will. With a flat surface (i.e. box speaker), the material will actually flex. In a tube design, the only way the material in the circular portion of the enclosure will actually move, is if the material itself stretches. This is not going to happen at the pressure levels were talking about in a subwoofer. Of course the endcaps are flat, so there is potentional for some flex on those surfaces, but overall you're goint to get much less resonance with a tube than with a box. This is the benefit a tube has over a box.

I e-mailed klipsh about purchasing the raw woofer for a ksw 15 , but as of yet, have not heard a response from them. I posted the e-mail on friday night. If you are at all interested in building your own subwoofer, there are lots of good drivers out there. The specs and power handling of the Parts Express dvc 15" 295-190 is good, as well as their redesigned Titanic mark II 12" and the Titanic 10". I would recommend trying a large plastic sewer pipe for the enclosure. Mdf plugs (end caps) can be machined on a lathe or cut using a router. I would recommend the use of a commercial grade subfloor adhesive to seal and bond the endcaps into the tube. Instead of buying much more expensive 1" or larger mdf, pressure laminate 3/4 " together with polyurethane glue. For the inside of the enclosure, use dynamat or other like peel and stick dampening product. Now that the resonance of the tube itself is dealt with, you can add polyfill to the sides to help absorb any possible standing waves. A pair of good , high quality binding posts through the side of the plastic tube, sealed good with silicone, will deliver a good connection. If the cost of exchange, border hassles, duty etc. wasn't so much I would build my own. Nothing like the satisfaction when you can see the final product, and you're friends face when he picks his jaw up off the floor, when his store bought sub doesn't perform like yours after he spent probably douuble !Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gifCool.gif

Well, klipsch cannot make the world. they need to choose. The heritage is bad enough (unique) and they probably do not want to make a ton of stuff. A tube sub is a 100% enthusiast sub and would look AWFUL next to the other subs in Good Guy's (Klipsch's maney source...)

I would recommend a 15" PRO woofer from the Parts Express catalog lineup. JBL is the best (spec, not my opinion) followed by (in no order) EV, Celestion, Selenium (made in Brazil!)

I would also take a VERY GOOD look at the Parts Express home brand, Dayton. For a 15", look at the 295-080. It is only $140, but I think you would need to spend $250+ elsewhere to get somthing as good. The 15" JBL 2226/2227 is $325 and the 18" is almost $500! The specs look good and I am sure the build is near identical to the brands mentioned above. Made in USA. Parts Express is a good honest company and I have been very happy with them.

Get a 15" PROFESSIONAL driver with a 4" voice coil (NOT under 3"), and just look at power handling/frequency responce, etc.

Good luck!

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

JMON---Tube woofers are prone to pipe resonances, I think the main benefit to tube subs is low cost, for a given amount of money you'll get a bigger enclosure with a hunk of cheap Sonotube than you will building a box. Then you put marketing to work to make a virtue of necessity.

Jmon--A resonance introduced by the length and cross-section of the pipe itself, like with a pipe organ or blowing across the top of a Coke bottle---toot-toot, all aboard. Tall rectangular columns are prone to the same effect. In the 50s guys used to build big resonant chambers; big pipes with a driver that resonated at certain low frequencies, but some accounts the sound could be impressive. An early form of the subwoofer.