Arrgh!!!

The flood tides are rising, for the first time my back yard has a current, and my basement is flooding in places it's never gotten wet before. Unfortunately, one of those places was directly under a kit-built Shorthorn. I had water wicking 1-5 inches up the side, although the puddle was only the depth of a dime and the diameter of a small plate.

I have taken the speaker out of the water, dried it off, taken it apart and am letting it dry out slowly (I notice they do that when excavating sunken steamboats here on the Mississippi.) There's a slight amount of staining, especially on the bottom, but nothing has started to de-laminate yet.

So my question is - is there anything else I should be doing? Besides swearing a lot, I mean. The boxes are raw plywood, so the finish is not a big issue.

Thanks for any ideas.

Capt'n Bobcwm23.gifcwm31.gif

Oh my god!cwm45.gif

The only advice I would have to offer is to completely let it dry before you do anything. Treating it now will only seal the water in and hamper the natural drying process, as it will still be transforming until all the moisture has evaporated. Beyond that, I dont know what to do!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the ideas. The Shorthorn seems to have survived the ordeal, with only a little bit of delaminating on the bottom which I have been able to glue back together and sand smooth.

The curious thing is the brads holding the bottom to the sides have a black streak tailing up from them about 4 inches higher than the remainder of the water stains.

I have to admire the quality of "presentation" on the drivers. They look to be the standard EV 15-WKs and T-35s, but instead of the Electro-Voice plush pink they are painted a very attractive crackle finish light grey, with the "PWK" logo on the woofer dust caps.

Can't say much about the plywood though. It's almost CDX grade, with lots of voids and plugs. Not very thick, either. I can see why Klipsch went to the baltic birch.

Anyway, thanks again for the ideas.

Capt'n Bobcwm40.gif