ProMedia 5.1 THX - high pitch noise from amp and speakers not working

xylan

Greetings folks!

Hopped on here in hopes of being able to solve my problem after having not found the answer after scouring these forums. First off I will say that I have PM 5.1 THX (I think these were the predecessor to the 5.1 Ultra...). I've had them since I believe 2001, and these speakers have simly been awesome. Haven't seen speakers that even compare to these beauties. Wish they wouldn't have stopped the product line on them :(

Anyhow, the situation: Upon power on the speakers, I hear a high pitched wine from the amp. It's almost like it starts out at a lower high pitch noise, then gradually increases. Almost like something is 'filling up'. After 30 seconds or so, it finally tapers out to being as high pitch as possible. None of my speakers work. However, the headphone jack works from the control pod. Sounds card is ok as I've used some temporary 2.0 speakers in there right now.

I looked to these forums to find another problem about a 'humming noise' from the speakers. With some investigation, I found to replace two 100mf 35 V caps on the main board. I replaced these caps, and the system worked PERFECTLY for almost a week. Then one morning I woke up and stumbled across the high-pitch situation above. I popped the back off again, hooked up the speakers, and plugged the unit in being sure to be careful. The noise was now MUCH more audible, and it 'seems' like its coming from somewhere around the AC/DC converter. But, again it 'seems' this way. I'm not 100% sure where the noise is originating from. Sounds more like a failing component.

Not sure where to find the answer to this. If anyone has had a similar issue and was able to fix it, I could greatly use some knowledge here! I will continue to look in hopes of finding something, but wanted to get this written up in the mean-time :)

• 11 years later...

I have the same problem with same system and was wondering if you ever found a solution. I could try  the 100mf 35 V caps (whatever they are!) and replace those I guess but I'm stabbing in the dark. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

5 hours ago, Judson said:

I have the same problem with same system and was wondering if you ever found a solution. I could try  the 100mf 35 V caps (whatever they are!) and replace those I guess but I'm stabbing in the dark. Any response would be greatly appreciated!

If you click on the OP’s username you’ll see that they haven’t been back on the forum since they posted 11 years ago.