Help/Opinions on new Speaker setup please!

doctahg

HI everyone,

I justed purchased a Klipsch RF-7 system for my new house's family room. I've read alot of discussion on the pseakers in the previous thread, and just wanted to know if my ideas are OK...I have a Denon 4800 receiver. My room dimensions are 26L X 24W with a vaulted ceiling. The TV will be a Pioneer Elite 720. I got the RF-7's and RC-7, and a pair of RS-7's for side surrounds and a pair for rear speakers. I plan on my main listening area to be 12-14 feet from the TV. I should be able to position the side speakers between windows about even with the listening area, and the rears about behind on either side of the big window. The front will be optimum and the center channel on top of the tv. ANy suggestions? I'm not an *audiophile* Smile.gif so any help or considerations would be appreciated!

Thanks

Doc

I believe the preference is to use direct-radiating speakers for the rear, rather than the radiating design of the RS-7s. They will work fine on the sides.

You may want to consider using one or two RC-7s for the rear, or, if you have room and $$, another pair of RF-7s.

Doug

------------------

My System

It's not a matter of sounding bad, really. It's that the rear speakers are used for more localized effects than the sides in a 6.1/7.1 setup, and need more controlled dispersion. Direct radiators will localize better than the WDST design of the RS-7s.

Also, for multi-channel music, the preference is actually to have 5 full range speakers so that the full effect of the music can be realized, as more artists are mixing their songs for multi-channel playback.

You've got a great system going!

Doug

------------------

My System

I agree with Doug, you have a great system going.

Since WDST speakers (of which the RS-7 is the top of the line) spray horn tweeter sounds out at an angle from each end, the rear ends of each side speaker are reflecting sound off your back wall. If you put a third RS-7 on the back wall, then it will be firing its horn tweeters toward the side RS-7's further diffusing localization. Of course, the woofer of each of them will be firing toward the back of your sweetspot tends to counteract the dueling horn tweeters.

One pair of RS-7 WDST's puts out a truckload of ambient sound and that makes putting a full-range direct radiating speaker or two on your back wall a real asset to take advantage of the latest processor technologies. Enjoy. -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

doc, you might want to read the June issue of Sound&Vision magazine. The Reference package was used there in their $25,000-plus no-holds-barred HT system.Two pair of RS-7's were used for surround duty,with one pair of RS-7's for surround backs in a 6.1 setup. Daniel Kumin's descriptive words were "terrific" system delivered "fine detail and fully integrated surround sound"...at any volume I could stand."

Your decision.

Keith

what about rb-5 II's for surround back? (vs.rc-7's)

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Hi,

I went with another RC-3II in the rear, since I have one used as a center now. They're not too expensive so I'll try that first. I was contemplating using double surrounds as well as the rears, but wasn't sure how it would sound. When we move in I may hook up a couple of my other speakers just to get an idea. If I don't like the two RC3's I can always try the RS7's again!<g>

Doc