Onkyo M504 vs Yamaha M85, MX1000

johnstms92

Hello all,

So I currently own an Onkyo M504 power amp, It sounds excellent on my quartets. However, It's been my goal to get into the older M series Yamaha amps, most specifically the M85 and the MX-1000/U as I've only heard good things about them, and they are commonly thought of as some of the best Yamaha power amps behind the MX-2000 and MX-10000. I currently also have a Yamaha R-9 receiver with 125 wpc powering my KLF-30's and it is my favorite combo I've heard so far. To my knowledge the R-9 is simply a combination of the M45 power amp and C45 preamp made into a receiver. So I figure if i like this sound so much, I feel the MX-1000 CX-1000 combo would blow me away

What I'm looking for, are YOUR opinions comparing the Onkyo M504 and the Yamaha M series amps,

I know the Yamaha's will be much more powerful, and likely stronger bass (so I've read) and I do feel like I lose some low end in the Onkyo..

What differences will I find in the M85/MX-1000 compared to my Onkyo M504? What do YOU guys think of the two amps?

Have you considered the Yamaha MX-D1 amps? If you can find one, they are not so old, being made from 2005 on, and have lots of very clean power.

I'm using two of them to bi-amp my JubScalas and am very happy with the sound. I also used one to temporarily drive a pair of Heresy IIs, and they never sounded better, with very detailed sound.