Question about a receiver used as a Preamp .... (compound questions)

Hello again !

Once again I have a question for you.... First I'd like to thank everyone for the advice I've received in the past. I read all responses and although I didn't reply to each I took everyone's advice and am now happily addicted.

My question is in regards to a "Preamp". (which I really have no clue as to what a Preamp is) Anyway, I have an Onkyo ht-rc370 that's running a Yamaha m-85 (soon to be 2 m-85's) I'm going to bi-amp (vertically) my fronts but I've been reading all kinds of posts saying that a Preamp is just (or more) important than the amps themselves. Something about the original signal going to the power amp. Could the Onkyo be considered a good Preamp ? (it's thx, Dolby this and that, 100 watts/ch (does this matter ?) has pre-outs...yada yada...) would adding a Preamp just put another unnecessary "link" in the chain ? I have no idea ! Lol !

I know most will tell me that the "bi-amping thing" is a waste but I do like the added sound and it'll be nice to have two amps just incase one dies....(I like the lights jumping around too!) once again, Thanx for helping me "spend my money"!

• Moderators

I'm confused, don't worry your not the first to do that.

When you say "fronts" are there more speakers or just 2 CH.

The Onkyo is a pre amp and a amp, you could use the pre-outs to run the Yamaha amps, then your using the Onkyo as a pre-amp only.

If you want to bi-amp use the Onkyo as the pre-amp, you would want to use that volume control not the ones on the Yamaha. If you use the amps volume controls how would you know how loud to set the different parts of each speaker, probably shouldn't just guess ?

Do not use the extra amps on top of the Onkyo amps, use the pre-outs on the Onkyo.

You have alot going on there, I may have even missed the main questions.

With some luck others will help, I think I missed way more than your asking ? [:P]

• Moderators

I'm "vertically bi-amping" Becuase I have a volume knob on my m-85's for each channel. This way I can adjust the horns... And, I'll switch my speaker wires around every so often so that the base channel isn't "overdriven" compared to the treble channel (mixing it up).... Make sense ?

I really don't know if that's the best way to adjust the horns, don't blow out your horn drivers, it would be pretty easy to do like that.

I have NO idea what your saying with that last statement, are you talking about just switching just the wires ? [:o] It will make no difference if there is different amounts of current on different wires, they really don't care or have a memory, no need to do that.

Sorry if i misunderstood

Thanx for getting back ! ...I guess I messed up trying to describe what I'm trying to ask. The main question is if the "Onkyo is a quality Preamp" ? I'm using it for 2 channel (my subs run off the Onkyo and my fronts from my amps (which are running off the Onkyo too) the volume goes up & down using the Onkyo but Becuase each speaker is running off it's own amp I would use the gain controls to set the amount going to my horns. (that way I can control my horns) By switching the wires, i meant that for a period of time one channel would run the "lows" and the other channel run the "horns" then by switching it would be opposite channels running the "lows" and "horns" I was thinking that by doing that I wouldn't overload one channel while the other channel has an easy time running the horns. (I don't know if something electronic can experience "fatigue" so I just figured I'd switch it around sometimes...) I hope that explains my question better ... Thanx again ....

What speakers do you have and do they have an active X-over. If the don't, then bi-amping will not really add much. I have a Yamaha M-70 and do not bi-amp my speakers. I turn the gain all the way up and run the avr's autocalibaration program, so that the pre-amp/avr is running the system. This is the safest way to use your amp. This way you can control the volume with your avr. That is a very nice amp. I like my M-70. No hiss or humms and I happy. This way the M 85 is taking the load off your avr and letting the amp do what is does best, power the more demanding speaker load. You should get better bass and midrange performace from your speakers. If you have a powered sub with it own amp, it will not place a load on the avr of any real significance.

I never thought of that ! Right now I have a pair of Rf-82's but I'll be getting Rf-7's in a week or so (unless something "pops up" on C.L. But I've been looking for awhile and I don't think that'll happen) I know the bi-amp thing isn't needed but it's only a few bucks and it drives the wife batty so... It's worth it to me ! I was thinking In lines of controlling the "horns"... if I vertically bi-amp I can turn the gain down on the horns to control the "brightness" (matt 1970 told me about doing this but he was horizontally bi-amping 2 different amps) if I do the horizontal "thing" I'd be pumping 260 watts into each horn and I'm thinking that's a bit much !

Lol...are you suggesting that my avr's auto calibration would calibrate my horns and bases ? (Becuase I'm bi-amping those 85's anyway !!!) lol ! See, I was thinking that having the "low" channel on full and then adjusting the gain on the "high" channel till it sounded good I'd smooth out the brightness...its 4am... I'm cross-eyed and repeating myself... I hope you get what I mean ! Thanx for getting back !....

Oh... And I do have 2 subwoofers... (SW-450's)

I'm not sure about them... I can't "feel them" but I THINK they add to the sound ... I've been told by Dennis that one sub is often better than two subs but I put them together in the same corner and the sound is great... Just not much "punch"... In the day I owned a bar that had live bands...then I could "feel" the base (and that's when I'd be screaming at them to "turn it down" ! Lol ....

Forget about bi-amping and let you avr/pre- amp take care of the channel ajdustments. If your speaker are to bright or sound harsh, use the avr equalizer and lower the 8 or 16 kHz frequency one or two notches Your room correction program in the avr does more than adjust channel levels. It will EQ the speaker, set cross- overs and control standing waves to name a few. Also try moving your subs around to 2 or 3 more spots in you room and see if they sound better. I deally, the subs should be inside your mains or on the front wall several feet from the corner. Each time you move things around, re- run the auto-calibration programs. Bi- amping speakers is not for newbies, due the learning curve on system adjustments and will most likely not result in improved sound quality. The 2 sw 450 sub you should be feeling outside the house, lol. Proper speaker placement and room correction can make or break a system. The RF 7's and 82's are good speaker and should sound good without bi-amping or bi-wiring. Maybe after you have them for several months then you can play with them more.