Denon 3802 and KSW-12: correct LFE settings

To cut a long story short, I have replaced my Denon 3801 with 3802 (I was waiting for the 3802 black model, and local distributor can only supply gold, so I had an interim display 3801 model). I am using a full Synergy set (sf-2, sc-1, ss-1) and ksw-12 sub. The 3802 offers 3 cutting points to blend the bass: 80, 100 and 120 Hz (the 3801 was fixed). Ever since, I am in hell, toying and tweaking, changing the fronts from small to big and vice versa, changing the volume and threshold on the sub itself, I just can not find the right blend anymore. Sound is either shrill and thin, or totally boomy. Please help - Im going bezerk. P.S. Gold is not that bad if black is not available, right?

IL, since that crossover setting is global & applies to all u probably want 80hz. all should be able to carry that low bass w/o distorting. that's also a low pass cross so your sub connected to sub out will start getting cut at 80hz too but in the other direction (up).

w/ those higher crossovers i like many others found that setting all to small (yes even the tower speaks) eliminates those standing waves from too much overlap between the bigger speaks (mains) & sub.

the crossover only works for speakers set small & the sub. & only for low bass. all LFE (.1) goes only to the sub when you choose sub:yes.

just fyi, here's a good pdf file that nicely explains LFE & bass mgmt.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Boa,

Thanks for both replies. I should note that when the front speakers are set to small, 5.1 does sound nice (LFE). My problem, as I mentioned, is the right blend in stereo mode, i.e. with out a dedicated bass channel.

I never tried setting the cross on 120Hz will it sound correct in stereo? I am never sure if the sub sounds right, or just humming along

il, if you're not getting good low bass for stereo w/ all set small must be cause the sub isn't fillin in well enough where the other speaks are cut off.

does take some experimenting but some fixes may be sub placement (corners tend to put out more), sub output control (i usually make sure the sub level setting in the receiver is at least 0db or higher & balance the other speakers to it w/ a sound meter using the sub's output control - may set the sub so it peaks on meter up to 5db higher than the other channel), may wanna have somebody switch the phase switch on ksw while playing some bassy music & leave where it sounds like best/most bass - if no dif leave it on 0).

the bass control should be on mains+lfe in the denon though i think this is default when the fronts are set small.

or u may need to look at getting another &/or dif sub.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Yep, Boa said it all.

Just one thing: Don't try to overrun the sub.

If there is no low in 2channel music, don't create it.

Otherwise it will sound boomy.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Pioneer VSX-909RDS

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3 tFTP

Rear: RF-3 tFTP

Center: RC-3 tFTP

SubW: KSW-12