Please help on subwoofers i am 19 years old and new to this thing.

AKAAMIT

Hey how you guys doing,

First of all i would like to thank you for helping me out since i am very new. Now to the question, would does it mean when people say a sub is "Tight" and "musical". You see i currently own a D-BOX David 300, is this sub as musical and tight as lets say a paradigm pw-2200 or is it tight and musical at all. I wan't to upgrade to pw-2200 but do not what changes if any i will notice from the d-box. Oh ya the reason i am thinking pw-2200 and not svs is because i live in Canada. Anyways could somebudy please work with me and help me out.

Thanks alot all!

ak, musical usually relates to the "speed" of the sub which would be it's transient response rate. but it's such an obscure measurment you won't see it in reviews nor specs.

same w/ "tightness" & pitch definition. distortion to some degree can be used & usually is published by those that have the better specs like the velodyne hgs.

iow, you really have to demo them in your room to really know if it's for you. the pw2200 i heard i could describe as tight, fast, musical with good output & extension down low. take one home & try & compare. just my opinions. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Well, I am 17, so I know where you are coming from...

boa12 is right on it about the definitions. For the most part, a cheap sub gives you "mushy", "flabby" bass while a decent sub gives you "tight", "refined" bass. A Paradigm (like the 2200) will be a great sub, it blows away many of the subs available, so you can have some confidence if you get it. Of cource, there is always better, but that is more C$.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Paradigm PW2200,a great and easy choice.Good quality sub bass,distortion is low(compared to non servo subs)and output is great(among the very best in its class).

And with the productbeing Canadian and all the price in Canada is the best you can get.

I only found mechanical noises around 20Hz near the driver's excursion limits.Audible,but nothing to worry about as almost any sub is plagued with this problem.The large JBL's are not,why? The cone does not have to move much to produce high SPL.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Hey EAR, thanks for sticking up for my JBL!!! Smile.gif

Do you need to get somthing like a Velodyne or Sunfire to have a nil/low distortion, high-excursion woofer?

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Ken,

Yes I like the heavy duty ultra long throw woofers like the type you find in Velodyne HGS and Sunfire subs.

I am also a technophile,anything of quality and at the same time extreme is good. Smile.gif

This is why I had to get the Revel B15 and probably one of the three best 12" subs made the Aerial.

Its a sicko thing

Next up SVS and JBL(I want my Ti-K sub,want it bad)

TheEAR(s) Now theears

ken, with a single sub anyway, there's almost always a trade-off between thd & higher output. the servo subs like the hgs use a limiter/accelometer that compares the sub output to the incoming signal to keep distortion lower. the other side of the coin is that you get some "clamp-down" on output so that distortion stays in check.

so like the hgs play a balancing game between output & distortion to try to strike a balance. using a 3000W class D amp & other high output components, you'd think

it'd have monster output. but because of the clamp down circuitry (servo) & excursion, it's output isn't up there w/ some others w/ less powerful amps & dif designs/components. in fact many say the hgs isn't loud enough for use w/ the bigger klipsch, but it works

great for me (probably would need a 2nd 1 w/ a bigger room though cwm35.gif)

------------------

My Home Systems Page