Pre amp / amp best for LaScalas

Recently purchased a set of klipsch LaScalas . Purchase came with Mcintosh MX114 pre amp and MC2505 amp . Amp has 50 watts per side. The MX114 has popping sounds when warming up . My audiphile friend down the street thinks one or more of the caps are bad. First question - is it worth fixing ? Is this a good pre amp ? I also wonder if I have enough power in amp ? Should I look for a more powerful amp? I do like to listen at all levels - I do like the live sound from the LaScalas when played loud. I have the feeling that a more powerfull amp like the Mac 2105 or 2205 would enhance the total sound spectrum - especially the low end. What do you think ? My friend loves tube amps - He brought a few over - all very low output watts.75 to 1 1/2 - The speakers sounded great at low listening levels .We both agreed ,need a more powerful push pull tube amps - which could get into big bucks. We both thought maybe a tube pre amp would solve one of my problems. Ido like the MX114 - I used to own am audible illusions Modulus 3 - i also miss the lower bottom that the speakers do not seem to produce. I have been using a sub . My audio friend hates it , says it muddies up the sound field. I do my best to balance the sub and speakers. What do you feel is best for my listening tastes? I love all types of music from classical, Big band jazz to jimi Hendrix. I do like to play at what I feel to be at near live volume levels. Havinf Fun with Klipschs . I used to own a set of Cornwalls - they had a better bottom end - the LaScalas have a smoother mid and upper end. Trying to make improvements at one otem at a time - What do you think? Pre amp, amp ? any thought on what may work . Audio Research pre amp? What tube amps work best ? There is a used Mc 2205 on net ?

Let's start at the top. The MX 114 is an OK tuner-preamp and definitely worth getting fixed unless something really horrible has happened to it. The 2505 is a fine amp and will probably do more like 70-75 WPC. I used to use a 250 - the plain dress version of the 2505 - with a pair of La Scalas to fill a 1100 seat auditorium. In short, you won't be lacking for power, unless you're looking for serious hearing damage. The La Scala's not really lacking for bass - what's happening is the speaker is "voiced" as a p.a. speaker, with a midrange designed to punch the vocals through the mix, and also to project the sound over long distances. Try getting a good equalizer - none of the cheap junk, but one like the McIntosh MQ 101 or one of the SAE parametrics, and try backing out the midrange a bit while boosting the top a little and the bass a bit more, and put the speakers in the corners where they belong. Your friend is right about subs - about 85 per cent of the ones I've heard do more damage than good.

Try this for a little while before doing anything else - well, get the 114 fixed first. I had a 2205 for a while and, not to put too fine a point on it, was distinctly unimpressed. The 2255, a significantly different proposition, was much better. Audio Research made really good preamps and amps, but they were "sports car audio" needing frequent tuning and repairs. If you want to get your feet wet with tubes, try a rebuilt Scott 299 for a while. You'll be able to use it for a while, see if you like it, and, if need be, sell it without taking too much of a bath. Just make sure it's been refitted.

If you're looking for what I'd probably do, is A-get the 114 up and running to full potential. B - get a good equalizer (anything sold by Parts Express is, by definition, not a good equalizer) C - use the system for a while and see if you like it. and D. look for a McIntosh 240 or Marantz 8b. These are expensive, but they really can make the big Klipsches sing.

i also miss the lower bottom that the speakers do not seem to produce. I have been using a sub . My audio friend hates it , says it muddies up the sound field.

Is it properly crossed-over? What are your filter settings?

I used to own a set of Cornwalls - they had a better bottom end - the LaScalas have a smoother mid and upper end

See: http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/153396.aspx

Instead of spending big bucks on a new amp I suggest buying an SPL meter and a multimeter. Try getting friendly with what you've got so far.

IMO, the 2505 is a fine amp and a good match for the LaScala. I have a 2505 that I use with Belles (essentially prettied up Lascalas if you're not familiar with them) and it never even breaks a sweat pushing the Belle's to any endurable volume level. I won't venture into the tube vs SS debate but it's worth mentioning that I've seen comments that say it has a tube-like sound.

As you'll see in many posts here if you do any digging on the topic, it's highly recommended to replace the capacitors in the crossovers if they're over 15 or so years old. Many folks report, myself included, that it cleans up the mids and highs a lot.

The low end issue is mostly likely primarily room related. Great bass will require measurement (or at least a lot of experimentation) and equalization. Again, well covered in many threads here if you search.

I think looking into these two things will provide a higher improvement in listening pleasure for your investment than replacing the amp or preamp.

Good luck with the quest and enjoy continue to the journey.

Mike

Can't comment on your LaScalas, but I noticed that my Khorns were honking the other night. CD player has volume control, so turned down output from CD player, turned up the pre amp, couple adjustments with base and treble and all was good. No more honking and good base. I know, different animals from yours, but fool around and you may find imporvement. Good Luck.