Subwoofer out or speaker line in on sub

Klipschtastic

How many of you still use the speaker wire method to conect a sub to your 2 channel set up? I have the Onkyo TX 8050 and I'm not sure where the crossover point is if there is one at all. I have read that it may be 80hz but sends a full range signal to both the sub and the speakers making it basically useless.

I am thinking of running speaker wires to utilize the subs crossover to keep the lowest frequencies from being doubled up.

Do any of guys with seperates, integrated amps or vintage gear run subs this way? Seems a bit cumbersome but has to be better for sound because of the crossover.

Guest Anonymous

Up until about 10 months ago i was running a KSW15 sub and used the speaker wire method. I just ran the B side of the speakers to the sub, Left and Right.

I didnt really mess with the xover point at all. i did however adjust the polarity of the sub +ve/-ve and adjusted the volume as well.

reposting a link erik sent me some time ago, this has helped maintain integrity of the khorns' sound while still running a sub. previously ran the khorns from the speaker level outputs on the sub, thus, the subs crossover muddied the music in a way that was unacceptable to me.

http://mapleshadestore.com/upgrades_subwoofer.php

Very interesting post. Bass management seems to be the most complex and controveral topic in the audio world. Turning off the LFE and turning the sub X/O off is the opposite of what I have learned. From further reading and forum discussions, there is more ways to skin a cat. I should not keep reading these forums, I have a tendency to try things and spend more time fooling around with my equipment. I guess that's part of the fun!! Thanks for the link.