Phono pre-amp question

davestef

I have my cornwalls hooked up to an older pioneer tube amp from the 60's. It has phono inputs on the back. I use a 1/8" to RCA adapter to play my Ipod through the auxiliary input. I love the warmth and smoothness of vinyl, but im guessing the signal from my turntable isnt as great as the signal coming from my ipod. With the amp set at the same volume level my ipod sounds much louder and more powerful than my turntable. When i try to turn my amp up to compensate for the weaker turntable signal the amp starts to distort the levels for different frequencies (highs, mids, and lows are no longer even or flat). I wish i could get my turntable to sound as powerful as my ipod sounds. I'm not really familiar with phono preamps and what their purpose is, but is that what i need to get my turntable sound as powerful as my ipod does.

Dave,

The problem could be with either the amp or the turntable but you don't need an external phono preamp if your existing tube amp has phono inputs.

If your Pioneer has two phono inputs, one will probably be for a Ceramic cartridge and the other for Moving Magnet style cart. Most likely your turntable has a MM cartridge. Try both at low volume levels and see what sounds the best. (Very low volume here too test!)

A phono preamp increases the signal from the TT before it gets to the amp. Your ipod is already doing this. But if your amp has phono input(s) it has a gain circuit "preamp" built into it already so an external phono preamp is not required.

Something is not working correctly with the equipment you have and needs to be repaired. Could be as simple as a weak tube or loose connection, but others here can help you troble shoot better than I.

Dave,

The problem could be with either the amp or the turntable but you don't need an external phono preamp if your existing tube amp has phono inputs.

If your Pioneer has two phono inputs, one will probably be for a Ceramic cartridge and the other for Moving Magnet style cart. Most likely your turntable has a MM cartridge. Try both at low volume levels and see what sounds the best. (Very low volume here too test!)

A phono preamp increases the signal from the TT before it gets to the amp. Your ipod is already doing this. But if your amp has phono input(s) it has a gain circuit "preamp" built into it already so an external phono preamp is not required.

Something is not working correctly with the equipment you have and needs to be repaired. Could be as simple as a weak tube or loose connection, but others here can help you troble shoot better than I.

Oops. I skimmed past the part where he was using the phono jacks on his amp. Nice catch...

You are correct. The phono signal is not as strong from the phono. CD players, Ipod, typically sound louder at the same volume setting on the amp. That said, it should not distort when turning it up as long as you aren't driving the amp to clipping. Could have some issues with the setup of the TT: tracking, worn or damaged stylus, cartridge alignment, anti skate, etc. Also the MM/MC thing mentioned before. I've used several TT's and a variety of cartridges and none have been "as loud" relative to CD or Ipod. Some cartridges do output more than others though. Can you confirm that the TT and it's parts are all operating properly on a different amp? Then it could be narrowed down to the amp or TT. Also, is it only distorted in one, or both channels. If only 1 channel, then switch the input cables to the opposite channel. If the problem is still the same channel, then the issue is in the amp. If it moves to the other side, then it's a problem in the TT.

Good luck and great listening. Love that vinyl!