OK NOW LET's SEE IF IVE GOT IT RIGHT

AKAAMIT

Hey guys sorry for the stupid questions but i am a bit new, and trying to educate my self on subwoofers. Ok now lets see if ive got this right. The reason most cheaper subwoofers sound boomy is because they are to loud in the higher frequencys between 0-80 hz (example), and not so loud down low. Is this right, because that is the only thing that i can think of that would make a cheap sub boomy. You can answer with a simple YES or NO if you wan't or just go a head and give me an essay. Oh ya by the way is an spl between 85db and 90db loud at 20hz for an average person, yet still good enough for a person who craves a bit more bass. I am considering pw-2200 with similar numbers.

Thanks!

ak, no some subs sound great on up to 120hz. but it's a matter of what your speakers can also do & what you want them to do.

f.e., though my velo hgs-18 can do real well up to 80hz & higher, i prefer to cross it over to my other speaks (that can more than handle it) at 50hz w/ the pre/processor i have. a sub is a sub woofer after all,

as in freq under the woofers of the speaks. if you have speakers that can kick down to 40hz or so, well then...

you can't do much better at 20hz than the pw2200 (in can. anyway) for the price. iow, you have to get another sub, diy, &/or pay more $ to do better imho.

specwise about all you're gonna see is output levels. that leaves out the bass quality side - distortion, "speed" (transient response), pitch definition. extension is kinda in between as in how much output (quantity) at which lower frequencies (quality).

iow, quality is more on the subjective opinion of the ear. which sub is best for you is still that which sounds best with your system at home. Smile.gif

here's a chart of certain sub's output attached u can download/save as file & then find/open w/ like wordpad.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-17-2002 at 02:19 PM

Ok what I think causes the 'BOOMY" effect

What Boa pointed out was ok,but take a look at any Klipsch RSW sub,none is flat in its response but all three are free from the nasty boomy bonus that plagues most subs.

What is called boomy is way more then just a non linearity in the output.Its often a cause of poorly built cabinet(resonates too much),bad tuning frequency,inadequate port optimisation.

Almost all cheapie subs(read below $300 are plagues by severe colorations(the so called boomy effect).

They are for the most part ported,badly tuned and the cabinets are thin and lack any bracing plus the driver itself if of such garbage quality it induces boomyness! LOL And sad but true

A good linear sub must have a woofer(driver)with near perfect pistinic movement.The cone(piston)should be built from a meterial that does not resonate in the subwoofer operating frequencies.

For this kevlar/paper and aluminium cones are great.Look at SVS,Sunfire,Velodyne,Krell(MRS),Aerial,Revel subs.All use drivers with cones that dont deform during action,and dont deform.

This is very important,and above all the cones in these drivers set the air in movement,not resonate like cheapo drums(the El Cheapo sub cones).

Now the quality subs use woofers with powerful magnetic structures and large voice coils.This is very important again.The speed of the driver is dictated by the weight/surface of the cone and the acceleration of the cone.Again SVS took 12" woofers because they give a great compromise betwen speed and air moving capability.

And we have cabinet construction,the cabinet must be inert and not vibrate(if at all possible).Quality subs use heavy bracing to eliminate cabinet induced colorations.And SVS as well as HSU took the easy road,a tube cabinet.No bracing needed!And still vibrations are kept at bay.

Tuning is a dciding factor for any ported sub.Even with a sturdy cabinet and quality woofer the result can be destroyed by a bad tuning.No boomy bass should come out of the port,any ported sub should be ported very low.This eliminates most tuby or boomy sound.

Amplifier power nd quality.Most cheapo subs use pathetic amps with overblown ratings.This does not help the bad built and dollar store driver(s).

A quality sub will often need(come)a quality amplifier/crossover.The best example of overdone beauty is the Krell MRS,simply put it puts all other subs to hame in the amplifier/cabinet/driver built quality.All other subs(did I say ALL).

A great example of smart compromise is SVS,the Ultra/SS for example uses a Krell MRS grade level woofer in a inexpensive cabinet(Ultra,as the SS has a great quality cabinet).

An example of trash can built quality is the Sony WM40 and Cambridge BassCube subs.When I say these are good to puke on its TRUE,its true.

The Klipsch KSW series for example uses very inexpensive parts to good results!The KSW12 and 15 drivers and amps...and cabinets are of very so so built yet deliver good bass.

The best built subs under $5000 are the Aerial SW12 and B&W ASW4000.They are built like tanks and bring awesome performance home. Smile.gif

SO fat the second best built sub I found is the Wilson WATCH DOG.This sub may look so so on the Wilson website pics,but take a look at the best in "person" and listen to it.WOW a work of art second only in built to the king of compact subs the Krell MRS.take note the Wilson WATCH DOG does not beat the Aerial SW12 in performance and yet costs almost twice as much! OUCH

Ok I could go on and on about performance and built but I think I'll stop. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears