Building my system...need help

aodgaard

Hey all,

I've started my home audio system with two rf-82ii's and am looking to add a center. I use it mostly for music and movies, and occasionally gaming.

I have my eyes on a rc-64ii but wanted to know if that would be an overpowering addition to my 82's? It seems like everyone has the 64ii center paired with their rf-7's. Any input on this topic would be much appreciated!

An Onkyo TX-NR609 is powering my system. I plan on adding a sub then rears in the near future.

Thanks,

Adam O

I have the oppotunity to get an rc64 for about $200 more than a 62. Both new units.

From what I have been reading there is an issue with the timbre not being exactly on par. My thinking is I would rather buy the bang for my buck and in time upgrade to better suit what I have, i.e. buy bigger amp, buy rf-7's, etc.

If I have plans in the future to upgrade to bigger and better, for the time being will my experience be that poor with the combination of my current amp, the 82's and the 64?

Also keep in mind I am just getting into the audio game so my hearing may not be as tuned as some of the pro's on the site :)

I have the oppotunity to get an rc64 for about $200 more than a 62. Both new units.

From what I have been reading there is an issue with the timbre not being exactly on par. My thinking is I would rather buy the bang for my buck and in time upgrade to better suit what I have, i.e. buy bigger amp, buy rf-7's, etc.

If I have plans in the future to upgrade to bigger and better, for the time being will my experience be that poor with the combination of my current amp, the 82's and the 64?

Also keep in mind I am just getting into the audio game so my hearing may not be as tuned as some of the pro's on the site :)

This seems like a very reasonable plan to me.

The 609 should handle the three channels OK, even at moderately loud levels, but be mindful not to push it too hard. As far as timbre matching, the 609's Audyssey 2EQ will help with that a bit, and depending on how picky you are, you may or may not notice much difference.

Thanks for the response. Excuse my noob-ness, but can you explain a little more about pushing the equipment too hard? Is it in regards to possibly damaging the amp (makes sense to me), or could I damage the speakers for them being underpowered? Just want to clarify. Thanks!

Is it in regards to possibly damaging the amp

If you aren't careful, it is possible that you could damage your receiver, although it may just go into protection mode and shut down. I wouldn't recommend pushing the limits to see what happens though.

could I damage the speakers for them being underpowered

Short answer: yes and no. It is ultimately too much power that will damage your speakers. You aren't going to melt the voice coil of a woofer rated for 1000 watts of input power with a 10 watt amplifier that can put out a maximum of 20 watts when it clips. However, it isn't unheard of for a clipping receiver to destroy a speaker's much more delicate tweeters with excessive power.

Some further reading on the subject.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1886