Vertical horns...STRANGE !!!!

Being the happy owner of an old pair of pro-Scalas with splitted cabinet, I decided this morning to do something I never wanted to do before because it just didn't seem good in theory.

I put my top (mid-high) cabinets on their sides, on top of the bass horn, so that both the tweeter and midrange horns are now in vertical position.

Well I suspected bad results, or at least less good than with the horns in the horizontal position. In fact it doesn't sound bad at all; different, but I rather like it. The mids seem clearer, less blurred, and the stereo seems better too; what's amazing is that the "sweeet spot" seems now wider than before (contrary to what I expected)

I cannot explain it; i know the tweeter was originally created to be mounted vertically, but that shouldn't be the case for the midrange horn who isn't a diffraction horn....

I remember having seen that on a pair of home-made horn speakers with Vitavox mid horns; those horns where mounted vertically because, as the owner said, "it helped domesticating a system originally made for large rooms such as concert halls"

Now I still need a few more hours listenings to "hear" for eventual drawbacks; it stills disturbs me in theory. It SHOULDN'T sound good that way!!! grrrrrrrrrr!!!! cwm10.gif

It just looks awful, however! cwm14.gif

To be continuated...

Frans