Le Cleach crossover

Horatio

Horatio, Rudy:

Are/were you guys using 2nd order LR?

Although I achieved similar imaging qualities, I stayed with the LeCleac'h because I like the 3rd 18dB slope protection for my drivers. It also enabled me to start rolling off the TADs at around 900Hz-1KHz. I have found that they sound best when crossover this way. My Jub clones are being crossed up pretty high as a result.... 600Hz or so.

Guest David H

I have been messing around with a miniDSP active crossover that I am using on my Khorn bottom and DH1012/EVHR6040 top.

I have been intrigued by this piece since I saw your first post, I ordered a Mini DSP today, I intend to compare it to my Behringer DCX-2496.

Dave

Please post again when you've had some experience with it.

I have a pair of EV HR9040A's that I have decided to keep around (even though they are huge), because I have a pair of self-made University Classic bass horns for which these fit very nicely on top. I need to biamp these, and of course, equalize them, and I am buying a second miniDSP (but this one 'in the box'; how do you beat that for $125?!) to do that.

Guest David H

Please post again when you've had some experience with it.

I have a pair of EV HR9040A's that I have decided to keep around (even though they are huge), because I have a pair of self-made University Classic bass horns for which these fit very nicely on top. I need to biamp these, and of course, equalize them, and I am buying a second miniDSP (but this one 'in the box'; how do you beat that for $125?!) to do that.

Will Do

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest David H

I have using the Mini DSP for several days now, and I am pleased with the results thus far.

I am most pleased with its quiet operation, with my Behringers and even my Ashley I was always struggling with slight hum or hissing.

The Mini DSP is nearly silent, and doesn't seem to degrade the sound.

The software interface is simple to operate, although there are a few features I would like to see, such as frequency, crossover, and channel linking if so desired.

The ability to use this unit with Room EQ Wizard is a nice feature as well, it's not as simple as I had hoped it would be, but it works flawlessly.

From what I have seen so far, this unit will be replacing all of my previous active crossovers.

Dave

Dave:

Are you using the model in the case, or in the raw board form? Also: as you get used to the software, I think you will find that there are means to copy settings from channel to channel; I don't know if this is the same as 'linking' as you mentioned. Finally, with regard to noise and hum: I found that the quality of the power supply being used to power the miniDSP is the key thing. I had initially powered off the USB via my laptop while on battery, and the miniDSP was dead quiet. When I switched to a garden variety power supply (decent utilitarian, multi output voltage type, 2A), I noticed a steep pickup in hum, in particular. I am moving to change that supply to something much quieter.

I am picking up a second one of these to use with some University Classic bass horns I built a number of years ago; these are being paried with the EV HR9040A's I've decided to keep, and I will run those with the EV DH1012A drivers. I have a pair of Altec 288's that are going onto the Khorn+HR6040 tops. Should have it settled in a few more weeks...

Amazing little boards, aren't they?

-M

Guest David H

I am using the Mini DSP in a box, I am aware of the copy feature. A linking feature would simplify making adjustments on the fly.

I am using a regulated DC power supply, I tried a switching supply, and yes it was noisy. I was not aware it could run off of usb power.

Dave.