Newbie w/Klipsch and Denon

Everything isn't even here yet but anticipating questions. I just purchased (2)Forte's, (2)KG4's, (1)KV-3, (1)Academy, (1)AudioSource SW-15 Sub, and a Denon 3802. I've never heard or set-up any of these pieces before. I was using (2) Bose 901's, Bose AM10's, (2)Bose 601's, (1) Infinity center, powered by Pioneer and Technics receivers. With the new system what are the initial key considerations. Denon 3802 has 110x7 I think. Forte's will be fronts and KG4's will be rears. Kv-3 was bought for center and Academy I got just because(maybe center). I also bought (4)e-brind audiophile 28" speaker stands. Speaker wires are rolls of 12GA. 2-wire. Am I on the right track? Should I use both center speakers or add another one or more? I have digital satelite. Can I do something cool with that? Looking forward to any suggestions and ideas. Thanks, Mark

ls, welcome on. working w/ what you have, i'd avise against using 2 front centers. use the academy up front & the kv as a rear (effects) center between the kg (if there's room for it). don't use any of the non-klipsch w/ the klipsch to avoid bad matches. jmo.

if your sat box has a digital audio out jack (usually optical connection for sat i believe), you can run it to a digital input on your receiver & set up/assign that in your denon. may stations like showtime, hbo, starz & encore broadcast certain shows in DD 5.1 now.

& even the DD 2.0 sound much better in digital (prologic II decoding comes in real handy here).

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks Boa, I'm already rid of old bose stuff, won't contaminate new system like that. Just got engaged so i thought i better get changed over to Klipsch before she know's what happened. With seven channels and my six speakers, will the sub be the seventh or do i still need to add something? Obviously i get pretty impulsive, get the horse push'in the cart, but i did read some in the forums here which led up to me buying what i did. What do i need to know about the Denon 3802. I see posts here about settings for subs and the such. Will Denon's manual walk me through that pretty good or are there some starting out pointers? Also i have a BSR 4000 EQ/Analyzer. Use it in any way or scrap it? You guys are great, this is a blast!

ls, looks like you got a great set-up when the 3802 arrives. yea u'll find tons of info here on it's set-up if u search. the denon manuals i've read seem to do a great job explaining set-up. just that many things can really be determined only by your ears at your place.

yes the .1 is a seperate channel - lfe. so 5.1 is really 6 discrete channels. but there is a dif between matrix channels & discrete. right now the most discrete channels is w/ dts es 6.1 discrete. so that would be 7 discrete channels. iow, the most you need to truely reproduce is 6 speakers & a sub (7 speakers).

for dolby ex you may see the term 7.1 used. but both the rear centers are producing the same info as it's matrixed off both the SR & SL channels. whether to use

2 speakers for rear surround or not is then a matter of

room (rear wall width). iow, whether 2 there is really overkill or not.

oh, & here's a good explanation of LFE channel in the attached pdf file. a note to this would be that routing low bass only to the sub may be necessary not because the bigger speaks can't reproduce it, but because the sub can do it better, &/or both producing it in the same wide ranges can cause poor bass quality in some rooms.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-19-2002 at 12:49 PM

Lynyrd-

Open up your operating instructions for your Denon 3802 to page 42, and draw a vertical line between the columns of the page...What they describe as happening on the unit has little or no bearing on the remote. This is one of the most misleading things in the whole document..This caused me all manners of grief.

Just remember, if the display on the remote is set to AMP, then you can use the yellow buttons to change the input source.

And remember to take the plastic ends off the optical cable...cwm29.gif

Lynyrd - That's a great system you've compiled there. How did you just happen upon an Academy?? They are about as rare as business ethics, these days.

If you haven't already done this, you might want to download the 3802 owner's manual from the Denon site if you have a bit of a wait before it arrives. I did that with my 3300 and was able to read it a couple of times to understand it a little better before it arrived.

Doug

------------------

My System

Hey Cluless, in response to your question, i'd have to say newbieness, like to grin, playing the armpit doesn't get the girls, Bose didn't do it, and dad said every man is good for something even if it's just a bad example.

ALSO: All your great forums here. A freind wanted me to check into some equipment for him and that got the ball roll'in. I didn't know much about Klipsch but remembered the name from highschool parties above the Railroad Bar in Spooner Wisconsin. Klipsches they had socked my rocks off! Now I've got a nice house in a Minneapolis suburb and the neighbors look the other way so far. Here's my chance. Can't say I've done alot of homework here yet but the little I did do decided every speaker and the receiver. I don't know even what to expect! I think I'll like it. Better than Bose right? Now I've even latched on to another Academy. Should there be two Academy's for rear surround with the KV-3 For front center or is that not a good idea. I have never heard any of these speakers before in fact I haven't even seen them before. It's kind of a kick. The guy I bought the Forte's from said they'll be here Friday. KG-4's not sure yet. Receiver maybe Friday too. I printed out Denon's manual today but haven't had a chance to get intimidated yet. Well I gotta get some sleep just rambl'in now. Thank you guys for making this fun. Seeeya

3802 owner here.. Didn't get the AMP setting till I almost lost myself in total rage and confusion. I find the manual terribly confusing unlike Yahmaha's which is clear and to the point. So much of the dennon is controlled from the remote only, if you do not have it set up on AMP to start with your screwed... Buttons do not work... I give it a D- on begining usability sorry.

That said, you will LOVE the sound of the Denon 3802. After you get it set up, and use all the possibilities... left, center, right,..2 sides per side..and rear speakers, and a sub. Get a SPL meter (analog) from Radio Shack ...when it is all said and done.. You will be in Audio Heaven.

My 2 cents

Lynyrd-

Welcome to Klipsch, land of great horns! You will have a great system once you set it up. I have Forte IIs, Academy, KG 1.2s for surrounds and the Denon AVR 4800/POA 5200, so I know your system will be great. As Doug said, how did you manage an Academy, or possibly two? Those are quite rare. I'm sure many of us on the board would love to know your sources! Smile.gif

At any rate, since you have Fortes and at least one Academy, put the Academy up as the front center. While the KV-3 is an excellent speaker, the Academy is much better when teamed with the Fortes. If you want, use the KV-3 as the rear center, since it was designed for the KG series whereas the Academy is made for Quartet/Forte/Chorus/Cornwall. You could certainly put two Academys as rear center, but those big Fortes demand the Academy up front. I learned about timber matching while playing with a KV-3, KV-4, and the Academy.

Maybe buy yourself another KV-3 and have two KV-3s as rears, or look at a pair of KG 1.5 or 2.5s. But you will have a great system when it all arrives. Pretty brave buying sight (and sound) unseen, but you can't go wrong with your choices. Enjoy!

Make sure you put polyfill (sp?) in that sub! Open it up and you'll see what I mean. It will take away the boominess. Also, the placement of the sub is critical. Move it around to find it's sweet spot. You shouldn't have to set the gain past around 10 o'clock and the crossover point is up to you. I set mine at ~80 Hz. I have all my speakers set at 0 bass and 0 trebble and the sub fills in nicely. Also, the output of this sub is far greater on movies than music (at least for me it is) so don't use your music settings the same as your DVD settings.

------------------

My hodge-podge of equipment

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

JHawk, Diggs, haven't had a chance to get back here for a couple days. Thanks for sharing your experience and expertise. Being a newbie with Denon and Klipsch having you guys sharing your knowledge really helps me understand things here that otherwise would take me a long time. Just got the Forte's yesterday, plugged-em into same Pioneer receiver (Denon's not here yet) I had my Bose 901's hooked to. Bose get there butt kicked handsomly!!! You could stack 3 901's each side with lots more power and my money is with Klipsch. Love-em. Waiting now on rest of system but what a start. Thanks, LS

Where did you order your Denon 3802 receiver from? Was it an authorized dealer?...if not you may find that your receiver is in LA LA LA Land. If was internet call back and get a confirmation shipping date. I had to re-order my receiver ...