Help replacing selenium rectifier on Scott 299

The Dude

I have been going through replaceing some of the caps on a broken down HH Scott I pick up a while back so far with just the rectifier tube in I got it to light up and the 2 led lights on the front to come on. Before I continue I would like to replace the selenium rectifier. I have read some were that once replaced with a better more efficent rectifier I would need a resistor to drop the load.

1st question how do I know the values of the rectifier, according to the schematic alls it says is something about -55v next to it.

2nd how can i figure what I need for a resistor.

3rd the extend Scott manual talks about needinga oscilliscope to set the bias is this necessary or is there a way around this.

Thanks

Nick

notice in this pic the RED wire coming off the NEGATIVE side of the silicon rectifier going to the little terminal strip and thence to the pair of resistors and on to the 4 caps and resistors. This is because the 4 section can cap was bad, couldn't get rid of the hum. I didn't know how to fix it so I sent it to a well-known Scott genius on this board who fixed it for me. I believe he used that pair of resistors to adjust the the negative 55V to the pre-amp tubes.

post-9215-13819687268716_thumb.jpg

BTW, this particular Scott 222-C was one of the nicest sounding amps I've ever heard. It still had all the original Telefunken tubes in it and just just kicked butt all over the place hooked up to LaScalas or Khorns. I'm still sorry I ever sold it but money was tight and I had way too many amps.

post-9215-13819687273004_thumb.jpg

thanks Tom nice pics,

Why wasn't the old one removed, I guess I see how to do it. I just need to know the how to figure the specs such as what are the specs of the old rectifier, and how to figure what I need resistors.

I hope to be able to get my 299 polished up like that it is very nice.

Nick