New Audyssey Results...

StephenM

So on Saturday morning, I received an important upgrade to my listening room: a new sectional sofa and a chair to replace the craigslist specials furniture my wife and I had used since our apartment days. My basement is starting to actually come together nicely now, if you ignore the wonderful wood paneling and tile flooring from 1960.

However, the downside is that it seems to have played havoc with Audyssey/my room acoustics. While the speakers haven't moved, nor really has the seating area (the upside to the tile floor is that I can be as anal retentive as I want), my mains are getting cut at 150Hz instead of being set full range or cut at 40Hz as they usually do. What's more entertaining is that Audyssey sets the wee RF-15s to 40Hz. I'm not entirely sure how the furniture swap cost me nearly a full 2 octaves on the RF-5s but they're set to 80Hz for now, as per my usual procedures. I'm a little annoyed with the results, but not really going to sweat it yet: the biggest change is yet to come since the basement will be remodeled (with significant changes) in spring. I reckon after that, if the results aren't what I'm looking for, I'll start fooling with placement more.

According to Chris the founder of Audyssey those crossover settings are actually being set by the receiver not Audyssey itself and should be re-set after running Audyssey.

Personally after I run Audyssey (I also normally run Audyssey several times until I feel I am happy with it) I re-set my crossovers to what I prefer and I also re-set my speaker level volumes with my SPL meter I find these results to sound far better.

I know Chris says that to people that ask why Audyssey sets their speakers to full range, but I'm not sure how applicable it is in this situation.

From what I've read, Audyssey measures the 3dB down point and passes that to the receiver. If that point is below 40Hz, most receivers set the speakers to full range, which is discouraged by Audyssey. Otherwise though, one would presume most receivers round up to the nearest crossover value. I can't fathom why it would measure a -3dB of 40Hz and then the receiver set the XO to 150Hz.

So far I don't hear any difference having set the XO back to 80Hz, but then again its only been a day and a half. Regardless though, it is rather irritating to know that Audyssey is effectively wasted on the main channels in the octave where most of its resources are spent, as Audyssey won't apply EQ below the 150Hz mark.