Audessey Set up and Cross over points RF 7 and RC64

Mborso1029

I got my Rf 7lls last week along with my rc64ll and my RS 42lls in the rear....i have been messing around with the audessey set up the last few days and everytime i set i run it, its never the same. it only set my 7s to 40hz...i was thinking they could probably handle full band. and the 64 was set at 60hz...i was even thinking this could go down to 40????

I cant really get a good full sound out of this yet. im running the onkyo 809 along with the rw12d. Do you guys use the dynamic eq? and the dynamic audessey set up.

• See the "Ask Audyssey" website -- there is a lot of info there, too much for me at the moment! Reading through the Q & As may tell you a lot, though.
  • If I read Audyssey's stuff ruight, they might say it is your receiver or pre/pro that is really setting the crossovers, not Audyssey.
  • As to Audyssey's own advice, they recommend trying an 80 Hz crossover to the subwoofer (if any) for the following reason: The sub output on a receiver or pre/pro has assigned to it (by Audyssey) many, many correction points, so speaker and room correction below 80 Hz can be done much more completely through the sub. It is hard for those of us who have fronts that have good bass to 35 or so to do this, but when I have a full day to spend in the house with all other appliances turned off, I will try it, and compare the sound crossing over at 80 and 40.
  • RE: the above, Audyssey says that anything you can hear or feel, especially in the bass, might be misinterpreted as coming through the sub, and might result in the sub being set at too low a volume. They suggest unplugging the refrigerator, and turning off the heat and air conditioner while running the Audyssey test tones. Could this account your Audyssey set-ups never being the same?
  • I saw a review of a receiver that set fronts for nearly full range as if to say, "Congratulations Sir! You selected fine, deep reaching fronts." The article said far too many receivers do this. Another reviewer said he had yet to see a receiver manual that provided good info on setting up Audyssey, and suggested looking at the Audyssey website.
  • If you play your music at a realistic SPL, I would avoid Dynamic EQ.
  • I would think that switching back and forth between the regular Audyssey program for movies (which has a little rolloff on the top), and "Audyssey Flat" would give you two options which both incorporate speaker and room compensation for both the frequency and time domains.. I predict that I will find the regular Audyssey program best for some movies, and "Audyssey Flat" better for movies without enough on the high end of the spectrum.
  • By the way, if your receiver or pre/pro is like mine, if it shows you the approx compensation curve via virtual images of 8 or so sliders, you should be warned that if you tweak one of those sliders to improve the response by ear, you will LOSE all Audyssey compensation, and need to run Audyssey all over again. Audyssey has hundreds of compensation points, not just the 8 or so averages represented by those sliders. Some few receivers or pre/pros have some rotary tone controls -- if you are lucky, these are after Audyssey in the chain, and can be used to sweeten the response to your taste. Be sure to set them to flat until after Audyssey has scoped your room and made its adjustments. Another trick, if you are a bass freak, or play older recordings that have the bass shaved off, is to use the volume control on the subwoofer itself, and turn it down about 6 dB below your guess at the correct level without Audyssey, then let Audyssey make its adjustments, then turn the subwoofer up to taste, using only its own level control.