Ordered Klipsch Ultra2 THX package; poor quality control or timbre issues?

nizl

Hi all, longtime lurker. So I ordered the Klipsch Ultra2 THX package based on impressive reviews and theater builds on AVS, such as Sandman's. (This package - http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system)

I emailed somebody who's a pro installer and he sent this back:

True story, had a client who got a "great deal" on those very same Klipsch speakers. He had to spend $3500 on a QSC DSP 322ua to fix the problems associated with "those" speakers.

The speakers have a poor timbre match despite identical design. In essence, poor quality control of components (you get what you pay for). Something that is easily heard in playback... you have to spend a lot more to bring them up to par. You'll have to perform a nearfield analysis to determine whther the particular speakers you purchased have any timbre problems and which ones they are.

I had never heard anything like this on AVS or elsewhere. I tried googling, but all I could find was the opposite: people impressed by build quality, excellent timbre matching, and evenness of integration.

So I wrote him back and basically said, "Are we talking about the same speakers?" He wrote:

Yes, those very same speakers. There were two speakers within the setup which were not timbre matched to the rest of the other speakers by a significant margin. We needed the QSC to fix the problem. The testing we do is not the testing they do in the magazines or the reviews. We test and compare those to the other speakers in the system. Two were problematic. We could only fix it with the QSC. Keep in mind as well, when was the last time you ever really saw a reviewer say something was not the greatest thing in the world for the money?

Now, of course, I'm worried about my purchase.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? I feel like I'm in a parallel universe. Not sure how a $13,000 MSRP classifies as "you get what you pay for".

Sounds to me like the Installer is trying to justify the additional cost of the QSC to you and his client, which is probably one of their big ticket items. It could have been room anomolies that caused the additional need for EQ. Sure, blame the speakers........! There will be many others on here to help ease your mind

post-57654-13819689138256_thumb.jpg

My gut tells me that he had a broken speaker and was trying to band-aid it with EQ.

That said, there will always be some variation between speakers - it's just the nature of how they're made. When you want speakers to match perfectly, they need to be sorted...which is something Klipsch does in the Palladium lineup.

At the Pilgrimages (factory tours), Klipsch was measuring every single speaker coming off the production line and each system has a certain tolerance window.

When that speaker gets to your room, the assymmetry of the room acoustics is usually going to have a much larger impact, so there's definitely a point of diminishing returns there.

All that to say, I wouldn't worry about one bad review. I've heard several installations with these speakers and they all sound incredible for what they are.

Be mindful that THX certification encompasses much more that just the speaker itself. Due to the specific response and dispersion characteristics of a certified speaker, If it's not deployed in the room according to THX placement criteria (for starters), all bets are off regarding how it will sound.