To drape or not to drape you walls

m00n

Ok so you see a lot of theaters with drapes on the wall. Is this something one would want to do if givin the chance in a home cinema? I have made mention many times now that I have a dedicated room that I can turn into a cinema. I am just wondering if it would produce the best sound acoustics to put drapes on the walls.

Thanks all

------------------

m00nsCinema

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

we are planning to do it in the home theater that i am building to keep down echo's and help sound proof. also to give that cinema look

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

When you start with drape questions, that means it is time to spend some time with Floyd E. Toole's various white papers on acoustics and psychoacoustics. He is the most recommended authority in that area by his peers.

Basically, you do not want a room that so acoustically dead (anechoic) that your ears can't determine the critical first reflection that keys all localized and ambient sound observations that make music flow and speech intelligible. Anechoic chambers are for testing speakers... not enjoying them!

My dedicated HT room has two walls that are mostly windows... a highly reflective acoustics nightmare. Those walls are heavily draped and have an additional sound absorbing valence. That plus careful placement of the speakers has turned a difficult room into an audio impressive one.

As you go down the road with your plans, you may find it helpful to dig up some of my old posts with links to various Toole papers on the subject.

Happy learning! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

Moon

The basic rule in room design is to have the sound pass your sitting location once and only once.

Placement of drapes or other sound absorbing objects must be planned not to interfere with the original sound generation. Usually they are placed in the rear / rear sides of the room, opposite your speakers.

Proper room acoustics is probably the most important component in producing audio and unfortunately the most ignored.

There is nothing more impressive than a pair of khorns in a room designed to make them perform at there best.

JM

I too, am interested in treatment options for room acoutics. I just moved into a new home where the owner built a dedicated HT in the basement. 19ft by 13ft by 8ft...all sheetrock walls, berber carpet and recessed ceiling light. He was transferred before he could do anything else. As you can imagine, a very lively room, acoustically. I am looking a Echobusters as a solution, as their products pass the WAF. Does anyone have any experience with this company or their products?

KGK

I have a spreadsheet that will help you find the best seating position in your room. You may want to try sitting in that location before you start deadening the rooms accoustics.

Send me an email jmalotky@wi.rr.com and I will reply back with the spreadsheet.

JM

This is just crazy, I am beginning to feel that I need a masters degree in audio engineering to understand all this.cwm3.gifcwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Moon

There is always something more to learn or try. We are always trying to get to the next levil in our audio, whatever that may be.

It does not take a Masters Degree. I am proof of that.

Room acoustics is probably the most overlooked aspect of this hobby.

Once you have a properly designed room for your speakers, and listen to the three dimentional sounds comming from your two channel system. THERE IS NOTHING BETTER than a sterio in a properly designed room.

You can point to each individual instrument in the orchestra. You can hear the singer taking two steps back from the Microphone, or turn his/her head as they sing. You can hear the wood crack as the organist opens the baffels of the swell ranks.

LIFE DOES NOT GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS...

JM