P27S/P17B

shake777

Obviously, I'm thinking of 7.4 (yes the four...sounds awesome) my concern is that the P27S is going to give me too much information that is not directed in an understandible way, too dispersed. I think the safe thing is to use P17 speakers. its just that the 27s are currently available. Oh well, I'll wait a while for a reply or two and then I'm going to give the 27s a shot. I can always sell them. Its it litlle kooky because the 5 main speaker system sounds great...really great. Thanks, Shake

Klipsch Tech says go with the surround speakers rather than the P-17. I've decided to go with the 7.1 system mostly because I want to get the most out of my nearly new Sony CX7000ES. If there is anyone who has good knowledge of this player I'd appreciate it if you'd PM me. Thanks, Nic

Hi Nic,

Sorry for the late response, I have been travelling the last two weeks.

As you probably remember I have a 7.1 system with two P17b's as sides and two P27s's as rears. The reason why my system is that way was really more space driven than anything else. The recommendations I got were the same as you are getting, use P27s's for both sides and rears. I know that you have seen my pictures and there you can see that I have windows on one side and open space on the other side of my seating area - so no place to hang the P27s's - I therefore ended up with using the P17b's as sides.

If I had more than 5-6 feet of space behind the seating area I might actually have gone for P17b's as rears as well, and this is simply because I think the design is gorgeous (stupid I know). But as I only have about 1 foot between the couch and the rear wall I use the P27s's.

What can I say about the sound? To me it is awesome. First of all I will say that moving from a 5.1 to a "proper" 7.1 - by proper I mean using sides and rears in addition to the fronts and center, not front wides or front highs - is amazing. The full immersion sound field created with 7.1 is just in a different leage than 5.1 if you ask me - especially now that a number of blurays are 7.1 or 6.1 (watched all the 6 Star Wars movies the other week - simply stunning).

I cannot say that I think the P27s's disperse the sound too much - but then again I do sit quite close to them so my situation may not be all that compareable and relevant for you. My recommendation though is to try the P27s's if they are available - I do not think that you will be disappointed [:)]

Good luck and let us know what you think!!

Best regards,

Skule

Skule, Thanks for your response. I'm so glad I went with the P-27S as my system took a huge leap forward. The realism and opening up of the soundstage was dramatic. Good avice and once again, its such a delight to own Palladiums. Thanks, Nic

Now... I would agree with that statement... It is a delight to own Palladiums....