Cornscala project in France

puppyday

Hello everyone

I use to be a happy owner of a pair of lascala but when i had to go back to my hometown ( Paris ) , i had no place anymore for theses big babies ...

So i replace them by a pair of heresy 1 but lets be clear the sound is far far away from my lascala . I dont have this magical touch that make you feel in the music .

That s why i decid to build a pair of cornscala . I already have k55 mid that i m going to use with a 511b horn , k77 tweet , my father in law will help me with cabinet building ,and i ll buy xover and horn adaptor from crites .

So i have a question about the k33 replacement . I was planning to buy the 1526c from crite too , wich are at a very good price , but if you put shipping cost and taxes its becoming expensive . And since im a bit short on money...

I have read about replacement on this forum like eminence kappa 15 but after reading too much different point of view im lost ...

I try to be short , is anyone have try the eminence kappa 15c in a cornwall cabinet ? And does anyone can tell me if it can works on crites xover without having to change anything ?

Thanks for reading

Paul

hi djk

Thanks for the answer .

Did you try one of these woofer ?

The eminence gamma seems to be 8ohm and k33 is 4 ohm is it technically complicated to change the xover ( sorry im kind of newbie)

Ive found the eminence kappa 15c to be 4 ohm too and it looks like some people use it as a replacement for k33 ; do you think its an interesting way

to go ?

It is just to save money cos if its really impossible to use another woofer i would go for the crites one ... But im little short on money so i just try to save ...

I have used the Gamma 15 and it is a good driver.

I have used the Kappa Pro 15LF-2, and it is a great driver (but more money).

On the Kappa 15C I am concerned with that huge peak in the high end, I would want to notch it out, the simple Klipsch networks woud work if you added a notch filter.

Could you afford four of the Gamma 15? A double Cornscala type speaker would be 4Ω and about 104dB/2.83V/1M

"is it technically complicated to change the xover"

Actually no. You could use the stock Klipsch 2.5mH inductor on the woofer by adding a zobel on the 8Ω woofer

The stock 2.5mH inductor in a Klipsch network gives a 500hz crossover with an 8Ω woofer, perfect for your Altec 511B horns. You will want a 1.2Khz notch filter wired in parallel with the woofer, use 8Ω in series with 30µF in series with 0.6mH (DCR of less than 1Ω).

circuit.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I'm using the Eminence Kappa Pro 15LF-2 woofers in some King Cornwall's I had built.

I've been listening to them for many months now. I built two sets (4 speakers) for my HT room

but it has such a large sound that I only really needed one pair.

I'll have to post pictures and reveiw soon.