Latest film score purchases: Sherlock Holmes, Hugo, War Horse, The Artist, The Tudors (sea. 4)

T.H.E. Droid

I picked up some new film scores recently on CD:

Sherlock Holmes "Game of Shadows" by Hans Zimmer- This soundtrack really pops off the speakers. Of the titles mentioned, the best recording with a huge sound stange and instruments that really sparkle. As with the movie, the music has a lot of energy and the eastern european themes are played by some surprisingly good musicians. Sometimes Hans can get an orchestra to literally "growl" with some surprising impact, and they've managed to capture an impressive dynamic range without having the recording fall apart.

War Horse by John Williams. I associate John Williams with very strong, memorable themes that become movie icons. There are none of those here in this forgettable score. The music works well in the movie but not when standing alone. Save your money and buy the movie on DVD when it comes out. Recording wise, it's a bit flat and one dimensional.

Hugo by Howard Shore. This is also not terribly strong music thematically, but it's a very chaming score that is pleasant to hear. It's interesting that the Hugo story takes place about the same time as that in "The Artist" and both films have a central silent film theme, but the two are very different. The recording is competent and you can clearly hear the different instruments.

The Artist by Ludovic Bource. This is much more in the silent film style than was Hugo, although the arrangments largely updated for modern tastes. There are some more authentic silent era arrangements included, which help contrast the styles. The recording is cleanly done, although a bit antiseptic. This soundtrack is fun to listen to even if you haven't seen the film yet.

The Tudors Season 4 soundtrack by Trevor Morris. Of the four seasons of the show, I thought the season 4 music stood out as the best. Because of the way these shows are typically blocked, the pieces tend to be short and to the point, and there is fair amount of repetition, but it's still an enjoyable listen. It's cleanly recorded and has a good soundstage, but as TV series go, it's not terribly "deep" in terms of instrumentation.

I love soundtracks, thanks for the reviews. Hans Zimmer ,John Williams, Howard Shore are of my favorites, how could they not be. The last soundtracks I purchased were TRON(2010) and Scott Pilgrim vs The World. I was in a elecTRONic mood for some reason, but I also got Zbigniew Preisner's: requiem for my friend,not a movie but he has done quite a few soundtracks , and i like this very much, try to find a sample of it somewhere I think you will like it. Mostly voices and strings with an organ in part 1, it's slow and very beautiful, that pretty much sums up the albuml. Part 2 takes it up a level with more intensity and volume(bigger compositions) with more horns and woodwinds still slow paced but powerful..........I'm listening to it while i type and i forgot how good it is, I really like this album.

I just checked out "10 Meeting" from Zbigniew Preisner's Requiem.... Very moving!

Mostly voices and strings with an organ in part 1, it's slow and very beautiful...

Your description made me think of John Tavener. His work has been used in various movies, most recently Terrence Malick's Tree of Life.

for Song Of The Angel. Very beautiful.