Heresy II squawker for Heresy I?

hap

I have the opportunity to get some Heresy II Squawker horns and drivers (K-53-K, K-701) but do not know if I can simply do an r&r with my original Heresy I Squawkers. I have replaced the original crossover with one from Bob Crites. There seems (to our ears) aduible breakup in the upper mids, especially male singers, large choruses and massed strings. Swapping out the Heresys for another speaker pair (small EPOS...) does not reveal the same "breakup"...

Amp is a Will Vincent ST70 in triode mode. Pre is a friend's hand/home made tube pre (3 6SN7s...). Sources are mostly Bolder modded Squeezebox 3 or DVDs/CDs from an older OPPO playing classical (85%) or acoustic "Americana".

Any advice, opinions and/or suggestions are appreciated...

I have both those horns but not to hand at the moment so I cannot say if the K701 will drop into a Heresy with out some assistance. I suspect some work to be necessary. The horn however is very likely not the issue. You might consider replacing the rubber washer gaskets between the driver and the horn. Install new gaskets snug up the drivers and then use a long point exacto blade to trim any gasket which has squeezed proud of the throat of the horn. After that I would suggest visiting the xovers, clean all the contacts and reconnect and tighten them up good and snug. You might allso consider new caps, get the best you can afford. That should solve your issues.If you have not yet bought a set of BobCrites's CT125 tweeters they will drop right in flush to the baffle is best. After that you will likely want to buy a set of Ti mid diaphragms from Klipsch. Get some 18 -20 inch four post stands and you will have a great sounding pair of Heresy.Enjoy for the next thirty years. Best regards Moray James..

After that I would suggest visiting the xovers, clean all the contacts and reconnect and tighten them up good and snug. You might allso consider new caps, get the best you can afford. That should solve your issues.

The OP already has new crossovers from Bob. Perhaps it's the diaphragms in the mid drivers.

Bruce

I would clean the contacts at the mid driver end solder flow the Spade connectors as the crimps may be corroded and I would reflow the solder joints at the diaphragm lead to male connector as well. Those phenolic diaphragms are well built and they tend to last a very long time but they might well be the issue. After hearing the difference in my Heresy and also hearing my H3 I would (if necessary) replace with the Titanium diaphragms from Klipsch.It has got to be one of those things. OR I have made the assumption that the OP has checked, if not remove the diaphragms and check to see if there is any debris inside the throat of under the diaphragm. Don't forget to install new gasket washers and trim them. After that what is left? Everything should be good as new. Hope this is helpfull. Best regards Moray James.