what tube amp for forte II ?

toscotk

Hi everybody

I own a pair of Forte II (1994) driven by a solid state DENSEN DM 10. I love forte and this amp but i would like to try the magic sound of valves. I'm afraid of changing the DENSEN though sometimes I would desire a smoother sound. The Densen is also very open and detail in the treble and midrange and sometimes it enphasize the open sound of Forte.

I listen to the music (only rock and soft rock)at low levels because I live in flat. I don't want to spend more than 2000 $ (the DEnsen costs the same)so I cannot afford the gotha of tube amps. I read lots of positive reviews about Jolida amps. But can they really improve the sounds of an excellent solid state amp like DENSEN or should I spend much much more to improve the sound of my system ? One more question : is it true that the best musicality belongs to the single triode amps ?

I appreciate your help and advices.

Thank you

my hi-fi system

digital source

teac p500 + DELTEC THE BIGGER BIT

AMPLIFIER

DENSEN DM 10

LOADSPEAKERS

FORTE II

toscotk,

I have a pair of Forte-IIs and have tried several tube configurations: Push-Pull with feedback, Push-pull without feedback, Single Ended Triode, and within those categories, pentode and triode. Because the Fortes are so efficient, all my listening has been Class A. The tubes I use are E88CC for gain and phase-splitting and KT66 output.

My favorite, by far, is Push-Pull without feedback, using a smaller than usual, 10W Hammond 1608 (normally used with the EL84 tube) transformer. I'm sure a medium quality 300B SET would sound as good or better. The "Parafeed" designs look interesting because the transformers are smaller than usual for SET design.

Since you don't listen at high volume, try a 300B SET or the Eico HF-81. For push-pull, just look for low power and no feedback .. if I get a chance I'll look around for a few examples.

If you do get a good low distortion tube amp operating with Klipsch speakers, the detail in the upper harmonics is astonishing .. well worth the work it takes to find the right amp.

Be prepared to do some experimentation. Tube amps are a very different animal and their lack of distortion may sound, at first, like lack of dynamics or hi freq. punch. But really, the punch, or slam is usually added harmonic distortion. A no feedback amp has plenty of dynamic capability.

http://www.welbornelabs.com/laurel.htm

http://www.bottlehead.com/et/et.html

The Jolida JD-102B looks good, but I'm sure it uses feedback. On the other hand the output transformer is on the smaller size and would do ok with detail. Still, 25 watts is a lot of power, and you pay in loss of detail for that power that you'll never use.

There is a 10 to 15 watt p-p no feedback amp based on the EL34 tube .. for some reason I've lost the link. The design is by Cary.

I know that's scattere, but I tend to build my own amps and am more familiar with the parts than the brands.

good luck.

Leok beat me to the draw, but here's my post.

I would guess the best musicality belongs to your hearing and personal preference.

You would have to hear a single ended triode amp to make that judgement for yourself.

Wouldn't there be any Hi-end dealers or any Audio Triode DIY maniacs, or just Triode maniacs in Rome?

Some way to check into listening to some tube units?

There is some excellent sounding Push-Pull amps as well.

Around 2 grand would get you close to a pair of Welborne Audio monoblock SET amp KITS.

They should do fine on your Forte II's, I have Chorus II's.

I have some 12-14 watt Push-Pulls, and I have plenty of power for above moderate listening levels.

(Though I'm probably only listening to the first 3 watts of them most of the time.)

Being flat-bound and not really concerned about higher levels of listening, the SET route may be the way.

You will have to hear it to find out, I'm sure you will like it.

Good Luck in your Quest!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 05-23-2002 at 08:04 PM