Room Layout

ChipByrd

Howdy,

Although my concern is for two channel, this is where I was
directed for help. It was actually this section that gave me the advice for my
current setup. It should be clear where everything is in the drawing.

Here’s my dilemma. Our basement flooded a couple years ago. I have
fixed the problem and don’t anticipate that happening again. Anyway… there is
some mold on that 18’ wall behind my speakers. I am going to have to tear out
the drywall, clean the area, and then replace. Here’s where I had an idea. I
have wanted to do some things to improve the acoustics—bass traps, etc. But
what if I purchased some of the Owens Corning 703, 4” and put it all around
Section 1 up to 4’. So instead of putting up new drywall, I put 4’of the 703
all around Section 1. Of course I would cover it with a suitable fabric.

The floor is carpeted and presently all the other surfaces are
painted drywall. The ceiling is about 6’9”.

Perhaps my plan is overkill. Or it may just be a bad idea for some
audio reasons that I simply don’t understand. Anyway, I appreciate any ideas,
encouragement, etc…

Thanks,

Chip

post-54498-13819691469584_thumb.jpg

...I have wanted to do some things to improve the acoustics—bass traps, etc. But what if I purchased some of the Owens Corning 703, 4” and put it all around Section 1 up to 4’. So instead of putting up new drywall, I put 4’of the 703 all around Section 1. Of course I would cover it with a suitable fabric... The floor is carpeted and presently all the other surfaces are painted drywall. The ceiling is about 6’9”.

Perhaps my plan is overkill.

I'd have to ask a question:

Do you like "stereo imaging" (such as that which you find in a studio control room), or are you more a casual 2-channel listener, sitting or standing in different locations in the room while listening to music?

Your room, actually, is large enough to put that amount of 703 around the front: this type of configuration would approximate a "live end-dead end" (LEDE) studio setup - especially if you put curtains from the ceiling down to the 703 panels. What will occur is that you will be able to literally point at the stereo images and the back of the room sound reflections will still create enough of a surround "ambiance". The room will sound slightly smaller, however. This is a tradeoff. You will also be able to push your front speakers back against the front wall and push them outwards toward the front corners without suffering from in-room side-wall, ceiling, and floor bounce issues - this will dramatically increase the stereo imaging performance.

That ceiling height that you mentioned is very low - I'd put something to at least diffuse ceiling bounce on your ceiling about halfway back to your listening position, about 2-3 feet depth along the ceiling-listening direction. If you can't find diffusers that would work, then I'd recommend external-surface absorbers like Auralex Sonofiber squares or Studiofoam wedges. You could also use one of these squares along the side walls closest to your speakers. I'd recommend just tacking them up with push pins and listening first. Then you could move them around to taste.

Generally speaking, I'd also think about adding a moisture barrier to your Owens-Corning 703 panel area if the basement wall is not already sealed.

Drywall is not very stiff and soaks up frequencies below ~30 Hz. So if your using or thinking about using a subwoofer, removing the drywall (or doubling with waferboard) if actually preferred. I'm thinking about adding waferboard to my side walls in the area of the front speakers where the two horn-loaded subs are located.

Chris

Does it make a difference if I use 4" or double up 2"?

In my experience,it doesn't make any real difference.

Chrs

Thanks Guys,

I received the Owen Corning yesterday. It will be about two weeks til I get to the project. but I set up pieces in four corners. All I can say is "WOW!" It made everything pristine. What an improvement. Thanks again. I am psyched to get to the project.