Which Heresy?

zingo

It looks like I have the option of three different Heresy models, all in like new condition, and all for the same price: the original, generation II, and HIP. Which would you choose and why? I would be augmenting any pair with a subwoofer and they would be powered by 40wpc EL34/6L6/KT88. What do you think?

I've heard them all and owned Heresy, and Heresy II. I've you've got the resources to purchase Heresy III, that's the ticket. Vintage Heresy and Heresy II sound great, however because of their age they will need to have caps refreshed on crossovers to restore them to factory spec and sound. Some people purchase the older gear because they are diy types who enjoy doing such work or just folks who have a lesser budget to deal with. The good news for them is that costs for similar spec and quality caps are nominal and there is great joy (to me, anyway) in bringing these noble beasts back to factory spec (or as near as possible, it's not an upgrade sort of thing). The difference in sound is astonishing and refreshing. The good news is whatever way you go, it's a can't go wrong thing. I use a subwoofer with my Heresys and the sound is REALLY good to my ears. It takes a bit of work to get the sub dialed in, but that's fun too. Enjoy. Excellent choices before you.

I like the tweeter in the H2 better than the K77 in the H1 and the HIP.

If I needed it loud I would get the HIP (I actually have a set).

A set of H1 with the Crites tweeter would also be a good choice.

I would listen to all three with your amp and a sub before deciding.

PS

The HIP have no bass without a sub, if that matters to you.