Don't Laugh! (How Best to Augment a Heresy I Set)

dprendergast

Thanks all. The crossovers included new caps, so I think I'm all set there. I do have a couple of area carpets on the floor, but most of it is still uncovered. The perimeter is mostly lined with bookcases, but there are a few bare areas that I should try to drape.

I've gotten recommendations here for Denon and Harman-Kardon receivers. The only thing I can probably say about needs in this area is that something simple will work well. I don't envision connecting other equipment aside from the turntable.

I've gotten recommendations here for Denon and Harman-Kardon receivers. The only thing I can probably say about needs in this area is that something simple will work well. I don't envision connecting other equipment aside from the turntable.

Here is the review that really got me searching for a Denon PMA-757 integrated amp. The reviewer(Ferrari) is spot on with his take on the Denon.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?ramps&1300031102&openflup&2&4#2

Bill

Picking up on what willand wrote I found a Denon PMA-737 on ebay for really cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-DENON-PMA-737-INTEGRATED-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-VERY-NICE-CONDITION-/180852116138?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2a1ba04aaa

It's available now for less than $20.00 plus freight. This one appears to be a "2 cap" version. Later versions had 4 caps and are more highly touted. You are going to have to move on it if you want it. The auction is over in about a day.

Can I ask for some info on why a different receiver will make a difference? I'm not wanting to be difficult - I really don't know. Will it make a difference in the sound? I don't think I need extra features, and my understanding is that 40W is ample to power the Heresy speakers.

Thanks!

Can I ask for some info on why a different receiver will make a difference?

Good question. I own an Onkyo TX-SR705 receiver(mid level from 2007) that I used to run my main HT system(RF-63's/RC-64). While it did everything asked of it, it was still a mid level receiver with mid level features and internal components. I found a NAD T-773 receiver(flagship model from 2004) at a pawn shop and only bought it to flip for some profit. Before I was to put it up for sale I had to run it through it's paces to make sure everything funtioned properly. The NAD never left my entertainment stand and the Onkyo now runs my bedroom HT setup. For music, it was night and day. Better build quality and better internals, in my case here means better sound quality.

I'm not wanting to be difficult - I really don't know.

I don't think anyone here thinks that, you just want to educate yourself.

Will it make a difference in the sound?

I do think so, whether you take my suggestion or from many other well informed(more than me) members of this forum. The Sony micro system you are using is really only meant to be a a desktop "all in one" setup. I think the phrase "garbage in equals garbage out" may apply here(no offense). I am sure for what it is, it sounds pretty good. Get some quality components and amplification behind those Heresys and you will(should) hear a difference.

Bill

Looks like I am going to be able to pick up a Harman Kardon HK3490 for a very good price. I gather from comments here and elsewhere that this should be a good fit for the Heresies, while also providing some digital and subwoofer options should I need or want those in the future?

David

Looks like I am going to be able to pick up a Harman Kardon HK3490 for a very good price. I gather from comments here and elsewhere that this should be a good fit for the Heresies, while also providing some digital and subwoofer options should I need or want those in the future?

David

Yeah, I hear good things about HK and Klipsch, you'll have to let us know how you like it.

Does the HK have a "Phono" input? If not, you may have to get an external Phono pre amp. Something to keep in mind.

Congratulations David! [<:o)]

Dennie

Do you think the sound improvement is because of the new caps that came with the new crossovers or is the new crossover an upgrade to the original? I haven't really researched what upgrade crossovers are out there and what they do better than the original ones. I just replaced the caps and installed CT125 tweeters. I wish I would have replaced the caps first and compared before putting the new tweeters in, but it's too difficult to maneuver the Heresys back into the corners with surrounding obstructions in the way.

I am defeated in trying to answer this on two counts:

1. I am not scientifically changing one variable at a time;

2. I don't think I have the ear to accurately parse the impact of specific changes.

What I am trying to do, and having pretty good luck with, is follow guidance here on relatively economical changes to make in order to arrive at a very good quality audio setup. I am very happy with the results and haven't spent too much money. Good enough for me! [:)]

Yesterday I picked up and set up the Harman Kardon HK 3490, replacing the Sony bookshelf unit. I have a lot to learn about the 3490, but so far:

- noticeable improvement in the bass

- way more volume available, without distortion

- some additional separation and detail for instruments and voices, taking the Heresies up one more level it seems

I'm pretty sure I'm done for a while now. At some point I may look at adding a sub-woofer. But I feel really good about adding a pair of Heresy Is with new crossovers and caps and the HK 3490, all for less than $500. That's about the right level of investment for me right now.