Getting the best possible sound from KG4s

cyto

Hey guys, I also posted this at AK but wanted your opinions too.

I was wondering what else, if anything, I could do to get the best possible sound from my KG4s. They sound good now but I like to tinker and was thinking of what else to try.

I have already replaced the diaphragms with titanium from Crites.

Replaced the caps with Sonicaps from Crites.

Played with the placement and height and ended up with them in corners on stands 12" tall, this works best for my space.

No affect on sound but I put covers from Parts Express on the passive radiators to keep grandkids and cats out of them.

Here are the possibilities for mods that I know of:

1) Replace the inductors (maybe just the bass iron core inductor)

2) Replace the 27 year old wiring

3) Re-seal the enclosure from the inside

Any ideas are welcome and remember that I not doing this because I am dissatisfied but just want to see what I can get out these speakers.

And it keeps me busy [:D]

Thanks,

David

I've got a soft spot for the KG4, they were my first introduction to Klipsch.

Of your three listed options, I would say working on the cabinets would make the biggest difference. Adding some bracing, dynamat/no-rez/something similar, and making sure they are well sealed should improve things.

As is, you've done the most cost effective mods already, and there might not be much more to be squeezed out. Perhaps it's time for you to add to your speaker collection and get some three way Heritage? They tend to keep you busy, both with potential upgrades/updates, and with the beautifully rendered music they'll provide.

Have fun with it!

As a total newbie, I say this:

(Having just bought A/ a pair of Chorus II's last month, B/ a pair of KG 4 two weeks ago, and C/ a pair of KG 3.2 this week - already a longtime proud owner of some Hereseys...).

...The KG 3.2 seller last week was into building his own tube amps he had about 50 full-sized boxes of tubes he had collected since he built his first tube amp 10 years ago, and has plans to manufacture / sell one-off amps in his future. He drove the KG 3.2's I bought through this particular tube amp he had built, for me to hear / audition the KG 3.2s maybe 8.5 watts (less?) output. It was a modestly-built tube amp a standard configuration  he explained that of the seven or so tubes, they ranged in individual cost to him of between $2.00 to $10.00, no more...

I cannot be certain, as we did not do an A vs B / tube vs transistor amp comparison, but I think I was listening to a pretty special signal as compared to a standard transistor amp. The sound was superb!!! The sound was amazing!! We listened to passages from about eight different cd's and a dvd of Thelonious Monk and band in Norway in 1966 - all I can say is  WOW!

So my recommendation to you is to build a tube amp and hear the superior sound that results.

As a total newbie, I say this:

(Having just bought A/ a pair of Chorus II's last month, B/ a pair of KG 4 two weeks ago, and C/ a pair of KG 3.2 this week - already a longtime proud owner of some Hereseys...).

...The KG 3.2 seller last week was into building his own tube amps he had about 50 full-sized boxes of tubes he had collected since he built his first tube amp 10 years ago, and has plans to manufacture / sell one-off amps in his future. He drove the KG 3.2's I bought through this particular tube amp he had built, for me to hear / audition the KG 3.2s maybe 8.5 watts (less?) output. It was a modestly-built tube amp a standard configuration he explained that of the seven or so tubes, they ranged in individual cost to him of between $2.00 to $10.00, no more...

I cannot be certain, as we did not do an A vs B / tube vs transistor amp comparison, but I think I was listening to a pretty special signal as compared to a standard transistor amp. The sound was superb!!! The sound was amazing!! We listened to passages from about eight different cd's and a dvd of Thelonious Monk and band in Norway in 1966 - all I can say is WOW!

So my recommendation to you is to build a tube amp and hear the superior sound that results.

The Yaqin I have is a tube amp, and it does sound great. I don't think I could build one and match it.

oh eye sea ... I hadn't read any yakkin' about Yaqin, and did not check your hardware list, so I missed that and the fact that Yaqin is a choob-based deal... your set-up must be therefore putting good signals thru those KG 4's...  I just spent the night making cd's, sitting in front of my KG4s for several hours (run off my IMac in my home office)  Pat Metheny, Nick Drake, Paul Weller, John Mayall, Muddy and Susan Tedeschi it all sounded really tight and right on those KG4's  yes there are "better ' audio experiences out there, but all one has to do is turn it up to add sonic brilliance with these modest KG4's they do so well as a speaker period, and it is a great thrill to hear "tight and bright" coming from these bargain landmark Klipsch examples. I feel blessed and lucky to have these dialed in its good food for the ears and what's between 'em.

Don't know if these links show up in your US search engine (probably) but here is some Canuck Audo Mart banter on Yaqin amps and tube swaps therein... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7949&start=15 I think I would like to buy one (a Yaqin) instead of building a tube amp from scratch to get into tubes for the first time, and do what these tube geeks call "tube rolling" when they swap one manufacturer / type of tube out for another and seek that to their particular ears perfect sound. It sure sounds a helluva lot easier than building one on a workbench, and the price seems right especially if I found one on the pre-owned market... so thanks for bringing Yaqin to my attention. I may just try one!

Don't know if these links show up in your US search engine (probably) but here is some Canuck Audo Mart banter on Yaqin amps and tube swaps therein... http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7949&start=15 I think I would like to buy one (a Yaqin) instead of building a tube amp from scratch to get into tubes for the first time, and do what these tube geeks call "tube rolling" when they swap one manufacturer / type of tube out for another and seek that to their particular ears perfect sound. It sure sounds a helluva lot easier than building one on a workbench, and the price seems right especially if I found one on the pre-owned market... so thanks for bringing Yaqin to my attention. I may just try one!

Actually I used to be an electronics tech in the 70s and could build an amp and I though about it, but I am glad I didn't and got the Yaqin MS-20L.

The stock Chinese tubes sound OK but I got a big improvement with Russian NOS tubes, and they are inexpensive too.

I thought about upgrading the speakers to Fortes but the wife likes the KG4s and doesn't want me to get rid of them.