KG4 specs (4 ohms or 6)?

mrplatypus

First of all welcome to one of the best forums that you'll ever encounter.

I can't speak specifically to KG4s as I've never owned a pair but...

I did at one time have a mis-matched pair of Forte's. One was factory marked 4 ohm and the other was marked 8 ohm. The funny part is that both of them had EXACTLY the same drivers and crossovers inside. On top of that they both measured exactly the same impedance at the terminals.

When I inquired about this the answer was that there was a time when 4 ohm speakers fell out of favor "marketing" wise so Klipsch simply re-branded them as 8 ohm in order to stay current with market demands. As I recall they both measured around 6 ohms (nominal) at the terminals.

If your question relates to whether you should hook them up to the 8 ohm taps or the 4 ohm taps on your amp my suggestion is to try both. You'll do no harm to the amp either way. Which ever one sounds best is the one you want to use. I've had tube amps that 8 ohm rated speakers sounded best on the 4 ohm connections and others that 4 ohm speakers sounded best on the 8 ohm taps. Go figure?

Once again welcome to the general madness known as "Klipschophelia". The addiction can be worse (and more expensive) than any drug ever created. Yea... Ask me how I know that.

Always ALWAYS remember one thing though. In the end it's all about the music that comes out and NOT about whatever hardware it takes to produce the sound.

jhoak, thanks for the
reply. I haven't measured them as yet, mainly because there is no real
issue with them. More curiosity on my end.

I have to say, I am very
impressed with the sound of these for this line/size of speaker. I also just
upgraded the diaphragms. That helped as well. They are quite something. I've been going out of my
way looking for the finest produced CDs in my collection. I'm hearing things
that I never really heard before. Love it.

jhoak, thanks for the

reply. I haven't measured them as yet, mainly because there is no real

issue with them. More curiosity on my end.

I have to say, I am very

impressed with the sound of these for this line/size of speaker. I also just

upgraded the diaphragms. That helped as well. They are quite something. I've been going out of my

way looking for the finest produced CDs in my collection. I'm hearing things

that I never really heard before. Love it.

Welcome to the forum, I bought my KG4's about a year ago and joined this forum. It is a great bunch. [:D]

I am using a Yaqin tube amp and run them on the 4 ohm tap, the people that make the amp told me to run the 4 ohm tap during amp break in and after that either one.

SS amps are a little pickier but it still shouldn't make a difference, try both and if one sounds better use it.

If your KG4's have the original capacitors in the crossovers I would recommend changing them too, if you haven't done so already.

I covered the passive radiators with covers from Part Express (to keep cats and grandkids out) no effect on the sound.

David

• 8 years later...

Hello!

I recently bought a pair of KG 4s and power them with an Eico 81 Tube amp and use a Music Hall MMF 1.5 turntable to spin vinyl.  I came here to see what ohm to hook my wires to, because I have 4 or 8 on my amp, but the specs for the KG4 say 6.... 

Thanks for the advise! 

Any tips on speaker placement? 

-Eric Munch Johnson