KLF10 restore questions

Gnet2000

Hi all

I bought a pair of KLF10 not realizing they were in such terrible shape; much repair needed. I have a question regarding the woofers. on all 4 woofers the spider is either partially or all the way unglued. Other than that they are working fine. What glue would you recommend to re-glue the spider? I have my work cut out for me though. The cabinets are in such sad shape I may have to remake them altogether. One of the xovers PCB was broken clean in 2 (Not sure how that happened but some simple soldering will fix that) the motor boards are completely loose and will have to be re-glued as well as the back boards. The cabinets have also taken water damage. Should be a fun little project. Any way let me know what you think on the glue for the woofers. Also what glue would you recommend for reattaching the motor boards? Liquid nails perhaps? or some kind of rubber cement? I may take some pics and post of the sad shape they are in. and then my finished repair job.

Thanks

It is good to see that you are going to doctor these back to life.

Are you really talking about the spider? The spider is the accordian like ring back near the voice coil and hard to see -- and therefore get at to repair. OTOH, often it is the "surround" which needs help. That is the area at the front of the diaphragm circumfrence which connects to the front of the metal basket of the speaker..

Generally useful is http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=340-076

It is not Elmer's white glue equivalent and is more pliable when dry. It is also not classic rubber cement used on paper paste ups.

Others will come forward with suggestions about the motorboard issue.

In my woodworking projects it is often necessary to force a glue product into a gap. Titebond II (and now III?) does the job for me. It will fill a gap and is water based.

The chisel tip nozzle on the despenser is good for this filling a gap issue. But as you may find out, pushing the nozzle in the act of forcing glue into the gap closes the valve. It is easy to work around, though. I sometimes give the bead a finger wipe to force it in the gap even moreso. Water clean up and non toxic.

We have to be a little careful about terminology and trademarks.

Liquid Nails was originally a constructive adhesive which was sort of a very strong caulk which sticks to most everything. Now, though, the trademark is used on a variety of glue products. So, if you see "Liquid Nails" at HD, there are many products

Gorilla Glue originally was a urea based product. It requires that one surface be damp to set up the reaction and then it foams. It is somewhat toxic and I think uncontrolable. But like with the Liquid Nails trademark, it is now used on other glue products which you find at HD.

As you've offered, please do post pictures. We all love to see them.

WMcD

Indeed I am talking about the spider. The surrounds are just fine, although one had duct tape residue that had to be cleaned off. Thanks for the tip on the glue I'll get some of that it should fit the bill perfectly. I went and purchased some more mdf today to remake the back plane (Not sure what the correct term is) as the old ones were too badly water damaged. I used one of the old ones as a template for the port and terminal block holes. I was going to sand and restain them at first but the wood it just to splothcedy (lol think i just invented a word there) so I am going to sand them and use a textured spray paint and then put on a clear coat to seal it. They should look fine when im done. Ill get some pictures and post them.

for what it is worth I think it is great that you are going to the effort to restore these speakers. If you have spiders which have come loose I would make a suggestion. if the spiders have come loose all the way around the VC then do yourself a favor and remove the dust caps use a shim and certre the VC and reglue the spiders. If your spiders are mostly in place you should be ok to reattach the spiders with out centering the VC's. Keep us posted. Best regards Moray James.