Non-bass region equalization

glennconti

I am coming to realize that electronic equalization in the bass region can only be done successfully with a high resolution (approx 1 Hz) equalizer. What about the higher frequencies? My powered sub does the work at 70 Hz and below. Above 70 Hz and into the midrange and higher range frequencies is there any benefit of electronic equalization? I have measured the frequency response for my room/system combination and have a jagged (+/- 6 to 8dB) response curve. I have a 1/3 octave equalizer on the way to me for experimenting purposes, but will I just be wasting my time with it? Any comments will be sincerely appreciated

This is an excerpt from the equalizer's manual:

Constant Q circuitry ensures that the bandwidth of the selected frequency area stays
the same even when approaching maximum boost or attenuation. As a result, phase
shifting and intermodulation distortion is greatly reduced, making for pristine sound.

I have measured the frequency response for my room/system combination and have a jagged (+/- 6 to 8dB) response curve.

+/- 6 to 8 dB is good in a real world room, rather than in an anechoic chamber. Of course, two curves that are both +/- 6 dB can look and sound very different, depending where the dips and peaks are, and how many there are, etc. A "house curve" that is about 6 dB high in the low bass, and gradually and smoothly declines to about 6 dB below the line at the very top end seems to be preferred by some people. I might like it if it did not have the treble roll off.

I got rid of my 1/3 octave equalizer after about 6 months. The system sounded better without it. Perhaps it was a Q problem.

I'll try Audyssey. I like their distinction between "reference" and "preference." I'd think that the ideal would be to put in room treatments, then let Audyssey get as close as possible to reproduching what the engineers/producers heard in the original session (reference), then season to taste (preference) with tone controls (if the equipment allows using both at once). I know many people don't like to use tone controls, but what do you do if the bass has been shaved off to allow getting a long work on vinyl, or the recording, for whatever reason, is unbalanced?