rt-10d speaker only

jive1

i recently aquired through a trade the klipsch rt-10d speaker only without the cabinet. Its a beefy looking speaker and i was considering using it in my car or using it as sell/trade material since im not into home theater too much. Does anyone know what the value of just the sub only is? If its not worth trying to get rid of, i will build an enclosure for my car and use it there.

Welcome to the forum!

The speaker specification details are here: http://www.klipsch.com/rt-10d-subwoofer

I do not have the driver details, only that the driver is high excursion, capable of 700 watts RMS, and 1600 watts peak. If it were me, I would build an enclosure, and test it with different port lengths based on standard speakers of about that power and size. With some experimentation you can eventually get it right.

Does anybody know if this is a 2, 4, or 8 ohm driver?

First off, thank you for not flaming me lol. I know how some HT purists are when it comes to asking this kind of question. You know, i as well am wondering the impedance of this speaker. I got a feeling that with the right enclosure and amplifier, this thing will pound!

• 3 weeks later...

First off, thank you for not flaming me lol. I know how some HT purists are when it comes to asking this kind of question. You know, i as well am wondering the impedance of this speaker. I got a feeling that with the right enclosure and amplifier, this thing will pound!

Borrow a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter), set it on Ohms and touch one terminal to each terminal. You can even buy a cheap one that will work for $15-$20.00.

Borrow a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter), set it on Ohms and touch one terminal to each terminal. You can even buy a cheap one that will work for $15-$20.00.

I didn't think you could use a simple DC ohm test to measure a speakers impedance. I thought it took an impedometer.

so it turns out the sub is 4ohms....I currently have it in my 99 trans am in a .75cu sealed enclosure...i am powering it with an avionixx 800.2 which is capable of a proven 1200wrms, although the speaker will never see that amount. it sounds very nice sealed, but i believe i can get louder. I am currently exploring options of a ported enclosure with the only setback being that i need to figure out how to retain my t-top storage.

so it turns out the sub is 4ohms....I currently have it in my 99 trans am in a .75cu sealed enclosure...i am powering it with an avionixx 800.2 which is capable of a proven 1200wrms, although the speaker will never see that amount. it sounds very nice sealed, but i believe i can get louder. I am currently exploring options of a ported enclosure with the only setback being that i need to figure out how to retain my t-top storage.

The amp should be a good match, as it is 800 watts RMS and 1600 watts max, bridged mono, and the sub it came from was 700 and 1600.

I would think a slotted port design would be more efficient for a low profile sub.

I didn't think you could use a simple DC ohm test to measure a speakers impedance. I thought it took an impedometer.

You can't check impedance but you can check resistance. Normally that will get you close.