Forte's (Not II)

sseymour

I saw that the Academy is the recommended center channel for the Forte II but none was listed for the Forte. Is all that chnged between the seies I and II the passive radiator? If that's the case then the Academy should be the center recommended for the Series I as well, right?

I am thinking about picking up a pair of Forte's and moving my KG4s to surround. I just hate to lose them as my mains. cwm45.gif

Thanks for any advice with this,

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Klipsch Quintet Surrounds

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

Scott - Yes, the Academy would be the center for the Forte I's (unless you use a Forte as a center, as I did). I did the same upgrade you did, a while back, changing out my KG4s for Forte's. Let me tell you, as much as I liked my KG4s, the Forte's took my breath away.

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks for the reply Doug. It makes me feel a whole lot better doing this hearing you say that because I know how much you like the KG4s, you make it very clear.

Do you think $500 is a fair price for the Fortes? It think it's pretty good. Hopefully, I can reach the guy first.

Now I have to start looking for an Academy. WAF will disallow a center channel Forte. I think anyways. How do you have it oriented?

Thanks again,

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Sony DB830

$500 for a good to excellent condition pair of Forte's is very fair, IMO. A pair just went here in Phoenix from a retired guy in Sun City, which were in mint condition and in boxes for 4 of the 10 years he owned them. I was the third caller -- the first caller got 'em for $350. Can you say, AAAARRRRGHHHH!

I have my Forte center in an upright orientation, rotated 180 degrees so the horns are on the bottom. I'd like to find a Forte with a junky cabinet that I could modify the motor board on (a la HornEd) so that I can put it on its side and paint it black. It would look better on its side, but I'm not willing to chop up my "pretty" pair for that.

Hey, if you find a junky pair of Forte's in your search for your mains, how 'bout splitting them for center channel use? I don't even care if the components are fried -- I can swap them with the ones I have now in my Forte center. I just need the cabinet ('cause I'm not a woodworker). Of course, as I'm typing, I'm realizing that I can probably build a box modeled after the Forte's I have, and paint it black, without having much in the way of woodworking skills. Hmm...

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-28-2002 at 06:34 PM

sseymore

The Heresy2 has the same squawker and tweeter set up as the Forte 1. The bass is not as low, but could be compensated with the Subwoofer if you have problems finding another pair of Forte1's, or if you find the Forte too big for a center.

IMHO - I would use a Forte 1 or Heresy before using an Academy or KG4 as a center.

JM

This message has been edited by j-malotky on 05-28-2002 at 07:17 PM

Hey guys, it does my heart good to hear you going for an "adequate" center... instead of the "recommended" ones that do fairly well for music... but fall way short with the heavier responsibilities the center has in 5.1 HT.

And, Doug, building a new motorboard to "horizontalize" a main is far easier to do than to build a box with no carpentry skills. Further, there is no reason to fear any outside damage to a pretty speaker cabinet by making the horizontal mod.

Let me know if you find something to operate on and I will pass along a few tips on how to make it even easier. One thing for sure... once you identically match your center with your mains... you will never want to go back to an inferior set up again.

-HornED

PS: If my KHorns didn't have a Belle Center designed by PWK to stand up and be counted... I would have tried to build one. Making your center the equivalent of your mains is a PWK tradition!

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 05-28-2002 at 07:31 PM

JM - It's interesting to note that the Heresy II does indeed use the same midrange as the Forte (is the tweeter the same - K75K vs K76K?).

I actually have Chorus mains, and I a/b'd a Forte and a Heresy II (using pink noise) as center speakers to see which sounded closer to the Chorus. Even though the Heresy II has the same mid-range, I found it sounded different than the Forte (with pink noise, at least), and not as close to the Chorus as the Forte, which is why I wound up with a Forte center rather than a Heresy II.

HornEd - My concern over modifying my "pretty" Forte for horizontal orientation stems from the report from another Forte owner on this board that the motorboard is fastened via a groove in the 4 surrounding boards, and that it cannot be removed. Thus, I figured I would have to cut the existing motorboard out, which I am unwilling to do to this one. Have you another idea?

Edit: In rereading your post, Ed, I believe you are saying that it is possible to mod the motorboard without ruining the rest of the cabinet, however it would be a "destructive" mod of the motorboard, right?

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-29-2002 at 02:14 AM

DAMN, they sold to someone else!cwm10.gif

That's real dissappointing. Frown.gif

Hopefully I can find a different pair of Forte or Forte IIs. Anyone?

-Scott

------------------

KG-4 Fronts

RC-3 Center

Sony DB830

Just a note from another Forte owner. I have Forte's and KLF-C7 set-up, and am VERY happy with the timbre matching they provide. Also not to be overlooked is the "Sound" of the horns together, not so much timbre matching but the same "in your face" sound...hard to describe i guess.

P.S. looks like my Forte's are overpriced...oh well they will make great party speakers, I just can't part with them for less.

------------------

System:

All items being sold as I am now an A/V dealer that does not sell Klipsch :-(

Whats left:

Forte's in black ash, great condition, buyer must pick up (Michigan)

$1200 pr

LF-10 Sub, perfect condition 1 year old

$650 + shipping

C-7 center black ash, perfect condition 1 year old

$400 + shipping

I-W 200 in walls, A little beat up but sound great no pre-contruction brackets

$200 pair + shipping