adding surround speakers need ideas

Jayman651

Hello All,

Currently I have a wb-14, 4 of them with 1 wc24, home theater setup. I cannot seem to be able to find any ws24s for sale. I'm looking to complete my DTS HD MA setup seen here http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/. Would it be possible to purchase some rs-52's or rs-42 ii's or rs-41 ii's to sonically match my current wb setup? I don't want to upgrade all my speakers but if that is what is needed it may be the route i need to go. please help. :D

Thanks,
Jay

Unfortunate that you can't find the matching WS 24's due to the finish. Your avr should provide equalization to make the 42's or 52's sound good with the rest of your system. You can use all bookself speakers with a nice sub or two to finish off the system with for a great HT. The subs would fill in the extra bass that you may want for more impact. Or, get the WF 35's to compliment the front stage for a slightly more robust system. I like all matching speakers and would be reluctant to break the system up, that is just me.[:S]

okay. What do you all think about the rb81 home theater system? How does it compare to an RF home theater if I have a great sub or 2? I'm trying to decide on the RB or RF setup and buy surrounds just for now until I can get my next setup. RS 52 or RS 62. what should I get?

The RB-81 system is fantastic. It is the top bookshelf system in the Reference line of Klipsch speakers. As for RS, get the 52's and pocket the money. There isn't enough difference in the sound of the two to warrant the higher cost. If you have the room and the budget, the RF-62 and larger floorstanding speakers will outperform the RB-81 bookshelf speakers. If you decide on the RB-81's, then the RC-52 would be a very nice center speaker for you.

These aren't baby steps you are talking about. Jumping to the RB-81 system is huge from where you began. Perhaps if you describe your room and your budget, we can help you hone this decision before you go deep in debt looking at Palladiums. [:)]

my current budget is around $1000 now for upgrades which is why i'm trying to start with surrounds and enjoy the wb's a little longer. im just concerned that the rs52s will stomp my wb's.

and when it comes to a new system, early fall is when i'll be able to complete it. i keep looking at the rf62's, 82's, and 7's. i can't help but want to purchase the 7's, but if i can get near the same quality with the 62's or 82's, then hopefully i won't have the upgraditis.

my tv room is relatively tiny 15x10 but i may move for job reasons in a year or so and don't want to upgrade again....and again....and again.............the wife won't approve.

If you have $1,000 to spend, why not just look at used? You can get a decent system for that. The surrounds should ideally be 30" above the ear level when seated. That would be closer to the ceiling than the floor, so ceiling mounting is usually more apropriate if wall space is not available.

I looked, and right now, you can buy KG 4.2's, 4.5's, 5.2's, and 5.5's for a good price. They are very attractive, and all do great for home theater. The center would be a KG 2.2 or 2.5, and the surrounds can be anything from the 2.2/2.5 up. I am sure you could put together an attractive surround system under budget going with KG's.

If you want to go older school, then 5 Heresy's would be killer. The prices on them has risen recently, but it wasn't long ago you could get them for $300 / pair. They will compete with anything you hear. Unfortunately, getting a pair for less than about $400 is next to impossible now days. If you could get two pairs for $400 each, and a single for $200, you would be rockin!

im open to this especially the hersheys. how will the hersheys perform against the reference line and the rb81 or rf 62, 82, 7?

They will outperform them in clarity and efficiency and the big boys will win in low bass notes. With a sub, the Heresy's will win.

im open to this especially the hersheys. how will the hersheys perform against the reference line and the rb81 or rf 62, 82, 7?

For his space, wouldn't these take up a bit too much room?

In my opinion, if you are looking to complete the system in the fall, why not just wait until then, save your money, then you can get the system you really want all at once. Don't waste money now on something you may just want to upgrade when you get a bit of extra money so you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run.

For his space, wouldn't these take up a bit too much room?

In my opinion, if you are looking to complete the system in the fall, why not just wait until then, save your money, then you can get the system you really want all at once. Don't waste money now on something you may just want to upgrade when you get a bit of extra money so you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run.

i'm open to this too. so say i wait now and buy a complete system in the fall. what do you think would be the best complete system i could put together? i need to know so i can start saving for this build. ideas on avrs or seperates? i just think the rf line looks seksy!

i'm open to this too. so say i wait now and buy a complete system in the fall. what do you think would be the best complete system i could put together? i need to know so i can start saving for this build. ideas on avrs or seperates? i just think the rf line looks seksy!

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. The system in my sig cost $3135 (minus the AVR). You may be able to find a little better deal on it if you shop around, but I'm happy with the price I paid and I think it sounds absolutely fantastic. Would I have bought the RF7-II and RC-64 II if I had the extra money? Maybe. I have absolutely no want to upgrade to them tho as I'm completely satisfied with what I have.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. The system in my sig cost $3135 (minus the AVR). You may be able to find a little better deal on it if you shop around, but I'm happy with the price I paid and I think it sounds absolutely fantastic. Would I have bought the RF7-II and RC-64 II if I had the extra money? Maybe. I have absolutely no want to upgrade to them tho as I'm completely satisfied with what I have.

how would the rf82 ii compare vs rf7ii? you know the size of my room. would i notice a difference? and your sig is different than the recommended rf82 setup on the klipsch website. would you recommend your setup over the klipsch setup?

The RF7 IIs are going to be able to handle more power, play louder and lower. I would say you would notice a difference. When I purchased my system, my biggest thing was 'future proofing'. If you can afford the RF7 IIs, and you don't think you are going to be in your same house forever, then I would say go for it. The RF82 IIs should be more than sufficient in any space that I'll ever put them in, unless I become super rich and buy a huge house, then I suppose I can still use these in the living room and buy something crazy for a theatre room.

The only difference in my setup is the RS-62IIs other than the RS-52IIs. Probably a silly reason for me to get them, but if you look at the specs of all the speakers, they all handle 150W RMS. The 52IIs handle 100. I'm sure they could have handled all that I can and ever will throw at them, but again, I wanted them to be able to handle the same as the rest 'just in case.' So yes, I would personally recommend going this way, but other people in the forum may not agree with my logic =^P

For his space, wouldn't these take up a bit too much room? In my opinion, if you are looking to complete the system in the fall, why not just wait until then, save your money, then you can get the system you really want all at once. Don't waste money now on something you may just want to upgrade when you get a bit of extra money so you'll end up spending a lot more in the long run.

Upgrading is one of the great joys of my life. [:)]

You will spend more in the long run if you buy new, and upgrade, because depreciation will nail you. If however, you buy used, you can do what many of us do and try it for a while until you get upgrade-itis and sell it for what you paid. I think the RF-7's or the RF-7 II's would kick butt for you. I still like the heritage stuff though. [;)]