Surround Selection

John Brunner

I have the RF -3II and RC-3II currently and am using the quintets for the surrounds. I am now ready to do battle with new surrounds. I have no space behind my sweet spot because the couch is against the wall. the room is only 13 x 13 so moving the couch in is out of the question. Because I have to mount on the sides would I maybe be better off going with a more directional speaker i.e. RB-3IIs vs the RS-3IIs.

Thanks

John, don't sweat it because you want your surrounds to the sides of your listening position, not behind you anyway. RS-3 should be perfect, If possible they should be 2-3 feet above your ear level while sitting down, directly to the side and slightly behind if possible. Good Luck!!

Craig

John you might try putting the surrounds on the sides and angling them toward the middle of the back wall. I have done that with monopoles in tight places to pick up more reflected sound from the back wall... which seems to increase the feeling of spaciousness inside the house.

Look up the acoustics papers of Floyd E. Toole, Ph.D., of Harmon Industries... he has some diagrams and comments that can help people in your situation. You can find one in Adobe Acrobat at http://www.harman.com/wp/pdf/Loudspeakers%20and%20Rooms%20-%20Working%20Together.pdf

Happy hunting, -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

John mine are only about 12 inches behind my listening position, put them directly to your sides at the proper ear level you won't be dissapointed. Only put them behind you if that's your last option, and the way it sounds they'ed be right behind your head which would be no good.

Craig