Matching my Klipsch quintet's

fivecoopers

I have always wanted Klipsch speakers so I purchased some Quintets off of UBID. I am now trying to match them up to create a 5.1 or 6.1 system. There are so many deals out there on speakers now that I started to consider just scraping the Quintets eating the loss and starting over. Does any one have any suggestions for what I should buy to match them up. Should I first invest in a center channel or sobwoofer. I'm still in the market for a reciever but I think I've settled on the Toshiba sd3755 dvd player. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

You are definitely going to need a subwoofer. Those Quints will only go down to 100-120hz, and you'll miss the first two or three octaves where the bass lives. For an interesting chart that shows all the activity in that region, go here:

http://www.azstarnet.com/~solo/musrange.gif

You could try running the fronts in "phantom" mode on your receiver, which means it creates a virtual center channel using the front left/right speakers. You simply say NO center speaker in your receiver setup.

However, I believe that with the Quintets (IMO), you'll want a physical center channel. Get a Klipsch SS-.5. It's the closest match to the actual Quintet center channel, which are not sold separately and harder to find on Ebay than snowballs in Phoenix right about now.

If you are serious about scraping the Quintet deal, let us know your budget, the size of your room, music tastes, relative mix of home theater to music listening...and you'll get some suggestions.

The Quintets are great speakers for their purpose.

Doug

------------------

My System

My advice would be to get another pair of Quintets and find a sub. I have heard the KSW-12 with the Quintets and it sounded very good for HT and better than expected for music. There are other recommended subs on this forum. I'm not sure what your primary use (HT or music) will be.

The SC.5 will match up very well with the Quints. You can buy the second pair of Quints and SC.5 fairly cheaply. You will then be set for HT. This is the most economical thing you can do and I think you will be surprised by the HT sound.

For a AV-Receiver, many on this forum prefer Denon and Yamaha. I am partial to Yamaha and believe you get great reliability, features and sound for a fair price. Yamaha has released it's new AV-Receivers (RX-V 530, 630, & 730). They start at $399 and go to $599 (retail price). The 630 & 730 offer 6.1 and DP II. Since the Klipsch speakers are so efficient, the smaller (watts) Yamaha receivers push them very well. Any of these Yamaha receiver's will push the Quintets all you want. Either receiver will allow you move-up a few notches with your speakers before needing to replace the receiver.

The KSW-12 or other sub, should also let you grow you other speakers as you learn more about your tastes, needs, and budget. Spend some time in your local HT store and listen, listen, listen and listen. Remember that everything WILL sound different in the store than at home.

Let's say I scrap the Quintets, maybe use them in another room. The family room is about 25 X 25. My listening range is pretty broad but lets make it simple and say pop music. I would use the system primarily for home theatre. Lets say a budget of $1000 dollars for speakers.

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

You are definitely going to need a subwoofer. Those Quints will only go down to 100-120hz, and you'll miss the first two or three octaves where the bass lives. For an interesting chart that shows all the activity in that region, go here:

You could try running the fronts in "phantom" mode on your receiver, which means it creates a virtual center channel using the front left/right speakers. You simply say NO center speaker in your receiver setup.

However, I believe that with the Quintets (IMO), you'll want a physical center channel. Get a Klipsch SS-.5. It's the closest match to the actual Quintet center channel, which are not sold separately and harder to find on Ebay than snowballs in Phoenix right about now.

If you are serious about scraping the Quintet deal, let us know your budget, the size of your room, music tastes, relative mix of home theater to music listening...and you'll get some suggestions.

The Quintets are great speakers for their purpose.

Doug

Well... buying new from the current model lineup, for $1000 I'd look at the Synergy series (SF-2 mains, SC-1 center, SS-1 surrounds). With some shopping, you could do that for $1000, but probably no sub. You could go with SF-1s which might free up enough flow to pick up a sub (used SVS?).

Or, go with SB-3 bookshelfs instead of the SF-1 or SF-2 mains...

Just some ideas...you have a large space to fill!

Doug

------------------

My System

Heres what I put together speaker wise and it sounds

great esp for the money.

SB3's w/ 21 inch oak stands $325 + $75 for stands

SC-1 Center - $199

Quintets Rear - $92

KSW12 Sub - $299

All these were bought brand new off the web. They sound

good for 2 channel and awesome for HT Alot came from

ubid and ebay and some other online sellers and I also