On the subject of breaking in speakers...

Cory

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Between the speakers and your ears, they will both need some breaking in. This will mostly happen with your ears though. The best thing you can do for now is keep any/all eq settings to 0db. No cut, no boost. Listen to them like that for a few months and only then decide if something else is needed. Also, try different positions with the speaker in the same general place; X number of inches from the side wall and X number of inches from the back wall. I'm assuming you have floor standing models. I don't think the bookshelf series really has a big change when moved around like that.

IF you decide they need some sonic help you can get a hold of SPL meter (Radio Shack <>$40) and do a full room diagnostic test by rearanging the speakers. Remember, only use the eq as a last resort, and gently when you do. It's just so easy to clip an amp and take out a tweeter or two in the process.

A few months ago I got a Sure V15VxMR cartridge for my turntable and in the beginning that thing had more bass than I could remove with any eq settings. After about two or three months the bass got very manageable and more neutral sounding. When I put on Manhatten Transfer's "Spice of Life" and "Mystery", well, it just about brought tears to the ol' peepers.

------------------

Tom's Money Pit

This message has been edited by tblasing on 05-29-2002 at 03:30 PM

There are many posts talking about this. I have basically said:

The cycles (woofer/tweeter movements) put on a speaker in a FEW HOURS are more than a car gets in a lifetime. Our Subaru broke in after ~5,000 miles, and there is actually "stuff" to "break" in on a car.

I would just have a night of CRANKING the speakers, then FORGET ABOUT IT.

You ears need more braking in that the speakers.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!