Power conditioners?

holtrp

Does anyone have any experience with whole home power conditioners?

We moved into a new house about 1 year ago. I have cheap surge protection on all of my HT equipment, but recently the motherboard on our refrigerator burned up. The repair guy said it was likely from a power surge. He said this area has a lot of problems with power surges and overall power quality. Some of the stuff on the internet seems to make some pretty fantastic and questionable claims (Save 25% off your monthly electric bill!!! Wow Wow WOW!!!). However, my refrigerator repair guy seems pretty intelligent and has installed some of this stuff in his home to corral some of his electrical problems. Just wondering if anyone has any experience in this area. We are in a fairly remote subdivision, but we haven't had any serious problems with our power outside of a few outages and now the refrigerator.

I have a whole home surge protector in addition to a Panamax unit. The whole home unit was installed by my electric company for about $150. I have not seen my electric bill go down though , don't know what he was referring to there.