Modified Heresy for Center

hwatkins

My sincerest apologies for addressing an older subject, but memory serves that someone here has modified the Heresy for a more pleasing and less space constrained center. I have tried a single Heresy - since it was on its side there was a significant imaging (I think that is the term) issue and specifically not pleasing. Two Heresy on side with horns to the middle was much better, but was in need of some sort of EQing (quite overpowering in sound that sometimes lost L & R distinction).

What has crossed my mind is putting a new box around at least the tweeter and Sqwuaker with the proper orientation (like a vertical Heresy), but challenged by what to do for the lower frequencies in the center channel.

I am sure this is a little off the wall, but if it wasn't for over-thinking, what joy would I have? Besides, why would I let others confuse me when I am perfectly capable of doing so myself....

------------------

Hwatkins

Hmmm...

I have 5 Heresys with a subwoofer. Center channel is currently on its side. And, I do not have an imaging problem. Of course, my listening room is not your listening room.

I am in the process of very slowly building a Heresy center channel. Everything is the same except the form factor and the woofer. The woofer is being replaced by two 10" 16 ohm woofers of the same manufacturer, vintage and construction as the original woofer. Efficiency is similar, so I may be able to get away without crossover changes.

I considered other new and vintage 8" and 10" woofers, including the ones used in the Academy, Stephens 80fr, and ElectrVoice SP8B. But I settled on the ones I chose because they seemed to give the best chance of achieving the best timbre match with the original woofer.

Early on I also considered two 12" woofers. But there seems to be no real advantage. Two 10" woofers have a bit more piston area than a single 12" woofer. I might be able to get more bass with two 12" woofers. But my other speakers are Heresys as well. And all the low frequencies go to a subwoofer anyway. So there is really no reason to use 12" woofers. Also, the bigger woofers result in the real disadvantages of a larger box and more weight.

Same here on the Heresy - main and sides right now. Have another set that I have been experimenting with. They are overkill for rear, so they are main stereo downstairs with HK unit.

Yeah, could be the room, but with one Heresy on its side there was some very noticable 'gaps', for lack of a better term, especially in some dialogue and center focused sounds (dropouts may be a better term). This was also before I started using an SPL meter.

Did not happen with two as center, and that may be my final configuration, but I am sure I will have to do some putzing with frequency manipulation. And there is the fact that I will have to modify the beautiful cabinet wall (a less than happy marital issue - I barely survived the 'conversations' I had to put the side Heresys in the ceiling, which I must say turned into a work of art).

In your thoughts - were you looking at an Academy style box for your center? I have figured I would have to build my own, and was contemplating a couple of smaller (than 10") woofers - you raise an interesting delimma on the crossovers. Any thoughts about what timbre match problems I would run across trying for some good 8 inchers?

I will solve a poor subwoofer issue within the month.

------------------

Hwatkins

HI HW

I was in on your diaglog some time ago----I finally ended up with three more H-II's for the center and surrounds and will use two Academy's as the rear surrounds (found another Academy to match the one I had been using as a center)---there is NO question that the Heresy II as a center is better than the Academy (as good as that was).

Fortunately I do have the room to position the heresy vertically in my cabinet (having made a slight mod in same to do this)

My Q is---do you think it best to sit the H-II upside down (Woofer on top) (

in order to get the tweet and sqwak closest to the picture?? (the H-II is on top of the RPTV)

Hey---are you all out in St Charlie going to pony up for that new Birdo's ball park?

Tks Dave

The center I am building will be similar to the Academy in that horns will in the center and woofers on either side. Other than that, the design is pretty fluid at this point.

My original thought was to use 8" woofers as well. The ones I listed in my previous post looked like they would give the best results. The Stephens 80fr is arguably the best 8" woofer ever made. The ElectroVoice SP8B is also very good and probably as good a timbre match in an 8" woofer as there is for early Heresys that have SP12B variant woofers. Of course, they are only available used or NOS. NOS is very rare. Best source for these woofers is eBay. The Academy woofers have the advantage of having the right efficiency, known box parameters, and availability from Klipsch as replacement parts.

As far as current production 8" woofers go, I think the main factors affecting woofer timbre is going to be cone construction. IMHO it should be paper to match the construction of the Heresy cones. But it is probably not critical. The woofer used in the Academy has a poly cone and comes up short in this respect but still is considered the best match for the Heresy in Klipsch centers.

I changed the design to 10" woofers when I just happened upon the ones that were a good match for the 12" woofers in my Heresys on eBay.

Malcolm -

Thanks for your experienced info, it is very helpful. I will shop 8" first - can always change back. Any deadline set for your project?

Dave -

I want the Birds to stay downtown. The ballpark experience is so much more than luxury boxes. When teams are mediocre - attendence always drops at the suburban parks - they just aren't centrally located. Keep them downtown...

I know we had talked about an extra Heresy If I ended up with one - as you can see from the thread I have the extra pair downstairs - Did you end up with an extra that you would like to sell? - Otherwise I may have to break the happy couple up.

I would vote for upside down - try it and let me know.

Henry

------------------

Hwatkins

Henry

Picked up a 2001 build trio on E Bay--so I'm set---with 5 H-II's and two Academy's as rear surrounds (not to mention twin SVS subs--POW)

Had tested upside down and it did sound very good--so I'm sure that's my config for the center.

Agreed---want 'em downtown also---second choice would be East side facing the Arch and skyline if they build another bridge down there too.

IMO---they could play on the moon and draw 3 mil.

Tks Dave