PC cdrom vs. audio cd player (sound quality)

tester

Which produces better sound quality.

A audio only cd player(Pioneer, Kenwood, etc ~$150) or a computer passing digital audio to a sblive card from a cdrom drive. Which produces clearer, better and more distinct sound?

I've had mixed results here. I've used my sennheiser 590s with both setups a lot, and the sblive seems to give a crisper sound, being more accurate. This is compared mostly to my sony walkman, but I've tried other cd players, and most of them haven't been as good as the Sony. Then again, the hiss on my sblive has gotten terrible, but I haven't had luck with the digital cd connection in awhile, so I will put the sblive above a portable player, except for the his. The advantage to the audio player is, imo, it has more lowend to it. It's a trade off between accuracy, and flatter response. But then again, the difference is not significant, and won't be noticed on a set of pros anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Well well good question

The D/A converter in any PC drive(CD-ROM or DVD)is a cheapo one.But with the progress on Digital audio its very good and plenty for use with LoudMedia or any PC system short of the SiroccoPro or higher!

When you compare the D/A and pre setion of a CD-ROM/DVD palyer to a portable the change will not amaze anyone and far less be noticed on low end gear(read most PC speakers)

However take the Musical Fidelity NuVista player and compare it to your CD player or CD/DVD D/A pre quality and you will hear noticable gain in spacing,instrument placement,true 3D sound,detail and definition.All this test has to use Grado RS-1's or Sennheiser HD600's.With a quality headpone amp(Grado or up).

I know since I have the Grados,Sennheisers and quality headphone amps.Furthermore,you need to use a very high quality recording to showcase the better CD player to anyone can hear the gain in quality.

Dont put Rage Against The Machine or Metallica and hope to hear fine detail.LOL Get it

Anything Reference Recordings,some Blue Note,a few Chesky,JVC XRCD and Shefield Labs will showcase best the high quality D/A and gain stages.

So for PC use and with Promedias you dont need the quality high-end pBTW with my Spendors and Dynaudio Contours I can hear and tell apart CD players,unless of the same make and almost identical internal D/A and gainstages.You wont foold TheEAR witha lesser D/A converter and gain stage and pass it for the real deal. Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears