RF 3s tweek

John Brunner

In my small room I have the RFs away from the wall approximately 1.5 ft. I would like to move them closer to the wall and was thinking that maybe I could jury rig an extended port to go through the wall to the back room. This would be about a 6" throw through a drywall into an open room behind. I would use some PVC tubing and connect with rubber cenment to the port.

What do you think. Is this doable?

JohnB

I may be wrong, but I think this would shoot a large portion of your bass into the next room as well. The reason for having the speakers 1.5 feet from the wall is to give the waves room to expand and rebound (since the lower you go, the longer the wavelengths are). From what I understand, this would do away with approx. half (in db) of your bass.

------------------

"May your mind be like water and mold to many things." -Bruce Lee

That extra port length will also modify the tuning Frequency that the RF-3 was designed to have, and it may make the speaker sound like, well, **** . So be warned.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Shiva/AVA250 DIY sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

John,

While both points are valid if all you're talking about is a few $$$ for some PVC then I would at least try it out. Just do a temporary set-up so you can change it back if it doesn't work out.

The loss of bass might not be a big deal if you're crossing over @ 80Hz & using a sub for the bottom end.

Good luck...Mike