surround suggestions

Imageman

I am hoping for some suggestions from everpne here for a set of surrounds for a 5.1 setup-

I have a KLFC7 center, and a pair of CF-2s up front. I don't have the space currently for full sized surrounds, but when I will, I'll move to a 7.1.

The placement of the surrounds is quite high on a wall, and I was thinking of putting a pair of KLFC7s up there on a shelf, and then using them as rear effect when I move to 7.1.

Any thoughts here? Should I reconsider towards a more "standard" surround wall mount? The KLFC7s would have to be verticle, does that matter?

Any thoughts at all would be a HUGE help. Thanks everybody!

TJ

------------------

"Imaging is Everything"

I'd especially love to get HornEd's opinion here- he seems to have some damn good surround advice.

... but that is not to mean I don't want anyone else's opinion- any will help tremendously.

------------------

"Imaging is Everything"

I certainly would put them higher than normally suggested as the combo of direct radiating and Horn will certainly not diffuse the sound, you will need to do something for this. Also The further away they can be from the listener the better. I had some IW-200 (in walls) that were about 6 feet from listening area about 5 feet up the wall and the sound was very Localized (IE not great effect). I would do my best to timbre match the mids, hoghs only to your mains and go with a wide dispersion speaker if possible. Of course if your doing the 5 channel stereo thing...thats another story. I you mount them vertically then your dispersion pattern will be narrow as well...I am not an expert but would advise against this set up. We need to pay attention to the intended effect for the surround channel.

------------------

System:

All items being sold as I am now an A/V dealer that does not sell Klipsch :-(

Whats left:

Forte's in black ash, great condition, buyer must pick up (Michigan)

$1200 pr

LF-10 Sub, perfect condition 1 year old

$650 + shipping

C-7 center black ash, perfect condition 1 year old

$400 + shipping

I-W 200 in walls, A little beat up but sound great no pre-contruction brackets

$200 pair + shipping

Imageman, sorry I missed your request... life has been a bit harried lately... and I am late for a trip to Sacramento in the motorhome. I will try to be more definitive when I return Monday or so.

lne937s you would have been exactly right if you were talking about the conversation I had with Brooklyn's own Rich Aurilia (now a beloved San Francisco Giant) and that was as you predicted!

But, Imageman has a problem more like Avman's... and would find a pair of (hard to find) KSP-S6's would likely solve his temporary problems. Oh, and moving a KLF-C7 to rear effects duties on a Legend System is not a bad move. Be sure to angle any high mounted speakers vertically toward the sweetspot... and that goes for center speakers above a big TV in particularly.

More later... -HornED