KP 301's...can you modify them?

HOGFAN

I have just purchased a pair of KP 301's and was wondering if anyone has modified them any to improve the sound.....maybe swap the mid-horn with one that is in the KP 301-II's? Maybe a better question would be, is the 301-II version much better that the 301's? If so, could you mod the 301's and what specific changes would need to be made?

Thanks,

Hogfan

keep in mind that the K601 horn found in the KP301 is 90 degree horizontal, the K604 horn in the KP301 II is 60 degree. The driver and network change as well. I'd leave well enough alone unless you really want the narrower coverage for longer throw. I use mine on floor, sometimes on stands the wider coverage seems to mate up to the output of the woofer very well.

keep in mind that the K601 horn found in the KP301 is 90 degree horizontal, the K604 horn in the KP301 II is 60 degree. The driver and network change as well. I'd leave well enough alone unless you really want the narrower coverage for longer throw. I use mine on floor, sometimes on stands the wider coverage seems to mate up to the output of the woofer very well.

Thanks for the input. I have not received the 301's yet.....should get them later in the week. I was just asking based off of some research that seems to indicate folks' preference for the 301-II. Once I get these and play with them a bit, I'll have a better feel for their performance. I got these for garage/outside/tailgate duty. I have been using a pair of Quartet's for this, which sound very good, but are a pain to lug around......with no handles......and certainly are showing some wear.

Thanks!

Hogfan

The KP-301 is a plywood, cornered, and handled Chorus. Crites offers a Chorus re-cap kit. You might want to replace the polyswitch in the tweeter protection circuit while you're at it.

Thanks, I was unaware of the polyswitch on the protection circuit.....I will certainly get this replaced. Also, we these being some 20 yrs old, the caps probably do need replacing.

Thanks again!

Hogfan

polyswitch is either good, or it's blown up, I never knew of any aging or wearing out of this crossover component. They're not even in your possession yet, let's resist the urge to rebuild them already, shall we? One mod that I make to some of my older speakers is to replace the locking 1/4" socket with a NL4, so it's up to industry standard.

"Pre-crastination" is worrying about something before it's necessary. You are right. Planning to rebuild the 301's, having never heard them is a bit of pre-crastination. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy a pair of 20 year old speakers without giving some thought to (and budgeting for) a possible refurb. As far as the polyswitch goes, I have heard of the normal state resistance creeping up with age. I can't say for sure about that, but I know for a fact that reset time of the device is affected by age and use. I should know about age and use!

• 2 months later...