Theoretically speaking.....

Cory

On this one please check your brand favoritism at the door.

Which would be better, theoretically:

A Quintet 6.1 system with quintets all the way around and a KSW-10 sub

or

any Bose Accousticmass blah blah system with a 6.1 setup?

OK, I'll take the bait. If this devolves, however, I'm outahere...

Speaking theoretically, there are three reasons I'd take the Quintets (the same reasons I advise friends against the acoustimass in general). So speaking "theoretically," I'll leave out listening preferences and talk to specifications only. For the Bose, I admit to having to use third party information (and my memory) because they don't make it available. For the klipsch, look at info other places in this website.

1. The missing frequency response between the satellites and the bass module (satellites go down to 300 hz - the bass module picks up at 200 hz). The klipsch cross at 120 hz, and the satellites and subwwofer are spec'ed to the crossover.

2. The high range of the acoustimass bass module - basically about 200 hz to 50 hz. The Bose bass is more "localizable" at 200 hz, and doesn't go very low. The klipsch subwoofer is 120 to 30 hz.

3. The freq response of the acoustimass satellites and subwoofer have pronounced humps - if I remember, at about 7000 hz and 70 hz. This tends to make you think you are hearing more highs and lows. But if you really listen to material, you'll notice other sounds go away, like male voices. The quintets are spec'ed +/- 3dB. Nontheoretically, you may prefer the equalization that Bose selected over the flat response that Klipsch selected.

Going off-topic but still in this area of satellite/subwoofer choices. When I help friends I try to talk them into larger bookshelfs that go down to 100 or 80 hz and suggest that they let the receiver handle the subwoofer crossover for them. That provides more flexibility, and pushes over the crossover point a little lower.

Hope that helps,

Eric

on a more basic level-

Bose sats have one "full range" driver instead of the woofer/tweeter setup of the quintets. In theory- a designated tweeter will play higher and a woofer lower.

Also- the higher the crossover is on the sub, the less the bass will seem to come from the Sat location.

Bose subwoofer also uses 2-5" drivers instead of one 10". In theory, the larger the woofer, the easier it will be to make it play low. Try loosening the smallest diameter string on a guitar so that it plays as low as the thickest and you'll get the idea. Also the woofer area (3.14 X radius squared) is more than twice as large for 1 10" than 2 5". More area moves more air for every mm of excursion.

just the basics, not even going into the crappy Bose componentry, philosophy, and engineering.

Larry

What? What? What?

Are you drunk or just looking for trouble?!

Lets speak facts...

B0$e uses band pass bass modules(not real subwoofers,a real sub sould have strong output to at least 30Hz(over 100dB),band pass limits the upper frequeny coverage.

Now this would be great if the B0$e Acoustic Mess modules would reach down to meet the "sub".But as many reviewers and I have found out,there is a hole on the frequency output.A gap,a crater get the picture.

Next the sats use full range drivers that cant properly reproduce midrange without serious colorations.This again will bother many listeners,some may like these colorations!

The upper range(above 5KHz)lacks detail but this makes the small cubes more civilised on agressibe PoOP music Ooups I mean POP.

So overall the B0$e is a great choice for yuppies and look MA I have a system Reflecting Directly sound and Messing Acoustics.

The Quintet sats and the KSW10...

The sub(still a bass module)reaches deeper then the B0$e(KSW is good down to 30Hz as opposed toe the B0$e ~40Hz).Notice not for high output near the lower limits

The KSW10 uses a bass reflex or ported box and houses a direct radiating 10" woofer.A much preffered choice to the semi sealed band pass design.Cleaner bass also

The Quintet sats are true two way speakers,the horn loaded(be it a tiny horn)tweeter reproduces the upper range.Its a soft donme tweeter,not as agressive as metalic and plastic domes.

The lower Quintet driver is a 3.5" mid bass unit good down to 80Hz(more of 100Hz this is why the sub should be crossed over to 100Hz).

The Quintet cabinet is quite sturdy and molded from much thicker plastic.Resonates much less then the B0$e sats.

Bottom line,unless you are deaf and drunk you will probably take the Quintet and KSW10(ah get the KSW12 a bit more expensive and better sounding sub.Its not just about output here).

TheEAR(s) Now theears