Pyle Pro PDS 772 vs Klipsch K55V

MartinV56

thanks for posting. can you provide a more in depth discription of the sound and of the difference betweenth the two drivers and how they sound? I take it this pyle driver has a larger ti diaphragm than does the K55Vdriver? I have some Peavey 22A driver for which I just got new Ti diaphragms and I think they would sound great on a heritage Klipsch but I think that a bit of a waste as with this kind of bandwidth "TWO WAY" just screams out at me. Best regards Moray James.

To clarify, there were 2 drivers that used the K-55V designation - the older version that has a one piece phase plug with spring loaded terminals and a newer version with a 2 piece phase plug that smoothed the output above 6kHz. The PD-5VH is the same as the older version. Low frequency performance seems to be the same between the two types of K-55s.

The graphs are all with the driver mounted on a horn, and are subject to the low frequency cutoff of the horn. That is what you see on the graphs. When operated below cutoff, a horn driver's excursion increases dramatically. If that driver cannot handle the excursion it will be damaged.The PD-5V (early K-55V), rated at 110 Hz by Atlas, can handle the increased excursion and survive. You should realize that the Klipsch A and AA crossovers have 6 dB/octave slopes for the mids and will present significant energy to the mid driver below the crossover point. The general rule is to cross a driver at about twice it's low frequency rating.

The Pyle driver is rated for 500 hZ operation. A K-400 horn may unload the Pyle enough to damage it. I have tried several 1 inch drivers on the K-400 and none sound as good as the K-55Vs (older style). Give it a try and be careful with the levels until you are sure the Pyle unit can handle the power if you are crossing below it's 500 Hz rating.