Heresy I

If a cap is over 25 years old and you can afford to change do so. If a cap is over 35 years old and youdecide to use it the do so at your own risk. the cheaper the consumer product the lower the overall quality to begin with. With most all domestic loudspeakers the crossover caps are no longet sounding their best after fifteen years. Consider that even installing caps of about the same adjusted value today you will be installing superior quality and designed caps which will sound better. If you want to make your life easy then buy a set of caps off of Bob Crites as he will sell you good parts at a good price which are known to work well. Best regards Moray James.

Tinkering with audio has a big trap, we like something that sounds a bit different, and it doesn't have to be different good. I know people who have made expensive journies with incredible improvements at every step and ended up going in a circle. Almost everything in audio is some kind of compromise, money, size, quality, efficiency, neutrality, musicality, increasing any of those generally impacts a few others negatively.

Live with the new sound for awhile, then consider what you might like to change. Listen to some other peoples systems. If you can, buy a second set to experiement on so you can try something new, then in a few weeks compare it to the old system.

It spooks some people, but I won't pay for any audio changes that I can't verify with blind audio only abx testing.

What is necessary to refinish these HBR's. Do they need to be sanded or stripped or what?

Post some pictures and we will help answer that question. There are plenty of older threads with refinishing tips if you do some searching.

I'd also hold off for a while on mods, particularly since you're happy with the sound. I happen to be a fan of the K77 over the CT125. It's a personal preference thing. I bought a pair and sold them a couple weeks later to a guy who also sold them a couple weeks after trying them. Get your crossovers refreshed at some point but for now just enjoy your new speakers.